Dick Cheney's Heart Transplant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's between Cheney and his doctor. Everyone else should but TF out.

well said. I take it your pro-choice?

As to the OP, the question of age, while valid, is debated in every college ethics class. There is no one answer that is right.
Eventually it will come down to what Hobbes calls scarcity of resources. Then age, class, education, social status ect. will be a determining factor.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheney has had heart problems for 30+ years. This wasn't exactly a sudden decision on anyone's part.

I doubt anyone got "bumped." That's not the way the system works. When they get a donor organ, they look for a tissue match first locally, then regionally, then nationally. Rank on the list is determined by your overall condition. My MIL technically waited 8 months for her heart, but for the first two of those months, she probably wasn't strong enough to survive the surgery.

Transplants can still be a crap shoot. Two stories from my MIL's time in the hospital.
  1. Heart was located. Recipient is opened. Old heart removed. New heart attached, and t doesn't start up. They tried for 20 minutes to restart the new heart, and no dice. Put out a call for another heart. Within an hour, they had one located, and an hour later, they had it in. It worked. Patient was on a heart-lung machine for something like 5+ hours.
  2. Another patient had arrived at the hospital right around the same time as my MIL. Eerily similar progression of cases - like within hours of one thing happening to one of them, a very similar issue would happen to the other. No relationship at all prior. He got his heart the day before she did. But he developed a major infection and never made it out of the recovery ICU.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lets face it cheney could have purchased a third world country child and ripped it's heart out long ago if he wanted one bad enough, i admire the man for going through the process like everyone else

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Cheney's heart transplant would even be questioned were it not for the mainstream media. They didn't like Bush and therefore Cheney so they just did what they do best: spread dirt and twist facts.

Obama's illegal alien aunt could get a heart transplant at the expense of the taxpayers and it would be a welcomed story on MSNBC.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the question was about age (and I wasn't trying to start a fight with the OP), but the point I was making was why should we place a value on life based on something the person cannot control. Like their age. Or what color they are. Or what gender they are.

My question was just in regards to a person's age because that seems to be the reason for the controversy.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, people in Cheney's age group, in otherwise good health, are considered prime candidates for heart transplants today. This has not always been the case, but that has changed over the years.

Don't you just love it when the MSM comes up with comments like "some people say" and "there are those who question"? "Those" either don't exist or are too gutless to stand behind their own questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom