Die compatibilty with Dillon 550b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am so excited! I get to pick up my new (to me) Dillon 550b today! I was wondering, as far as dies are concerned, can I mix and match stuff? For example, can I use a set of Lyman .30 carbine dies in the Dillon 550 toolhead? What other parts can I mix and match? Sorry fellas but I'm gonna be asking alot of dumb questions over the next few months or years. Maybe we need a dumb question sticky.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5 toolheads in use now for my 550b. The only thing consistent among any of them is the Hornady New Dimension seating die that all have installed. It is quicker to adjust than the Dillon die and I like the alignment sleeve. I only reload handgun ammo at this time. Besides the Dillon and Hornady dies, I use now, or have used, dies from Lee, RCBS, and Lyman. I know it's sacrilege, but I even use a couple of Lee powder dispensers in my 550b toolheads.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5 toolheads in use now for my 550b. The only thing consistent among any of them is the Hornady New Dimension seating die that all have installed. It is quicker to adjust than the Dillon die and I like the alignment sleeve. I only reload handgun ammo at this time. Besides the Dillon and Hornady dies, I use now, or have used, dies from Lee, RCBS, and Lyman. I know it's sacrilege, but I even use a couple of Lee powder dispensers in my 550b toolheads.

Thanks for the info.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can mix and match. I have the 650 and one of the tricks I have to use when using Lee dies is to put the locking ring on underneath the toolhead. Lee dies are not long enough to use the locking ring on the top side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom