Dietary cholesterol has no scientific evidence of being bad at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a doc try and put me on statins when I was 44 because my cholesterol was high.
I said, nope - how else can I change things?

He says diet, cardio, lots of cardio.

I turned into a runner. A couple years ago, I saw a similar report as above. Relaxed my diet a bunch, kept running. Numbers have stayed remarkably consistent for years. (I get blood tested 2X a year)

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago there was a Doctor on KRMG that did a hour weekend morning show that was adamant that the measurement of cholesterol levels and it's relation to heart disease was completely irrelevant and that that a test he would run on a persons saliva was much more relevant. Unfortunately I don't remember what he specifically looked for in the saliva. Anyway he made sense to me so I decided to stop taking statins and focus on diet and exercise. Over the following years my cholesterol has dropped slightly each year.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Diet is a small part of a long healthy life. Moderation in diet is the key. Doctors aren’t bad people just poorly educated by a system that is so backwards it’s not even funny.

Staying active is the #1 thing to a healthy life. Humans were designed to be able to eat anything. We were not designed to sit behind a computer or watch TV all day.

Get outside and do something difficult every single day.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been saying this for over a decade, most patients look at me like I'm retarded when I tell them dietary cholesterol does not elevate serum cholesterol...
I think it depends on the patient population. Usually dietary cholesterol has no or a minimal effect on blood levels. But that’s not true for patients who are cholesterol “responders“ where diet does affect blood level cholesterol. LDL’s can jump with a low carb diet. No way to test for it that I know of, as you can only find out by trial & error using different diets & following up with labs.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bacon and eggs every morning is actually good for you. Eat meat and get plenty of healthy fats. Your body will appreciate it
My dad who was very active in life and worked hard most of it (farming/industrial maintenance) was an egg 'n bacon, sausage 'n gravy, lots of fried, and high-fat foods who died at 62 from a coronary thrombosis (blocked heart artery) from cholesterol. Same with my mom who also worked hard her whole life (leather repair/saddle making) and died from the same reason at 72. Sister at 57, though she also smoked and was less active.

Not flaming anyone for eating the egg, bacon, sausage, pan gravy, red meat, fried food, and high-fat type stuff but do still have to wonder if it' all that good for you. I like the occasional BLT, egg sandwich, onion rings, etc., but mostly try to stay low on salt and sugar intake - inching my way towards 74 with no health problems except for COPD due to 40+ years of smoking (quit in 2009).

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My dad who was very active in life and worked hard most of it (farming/industrial maintenance) was an egg 'n bacon, sausage 'n gravy, lots of fried, and high-fat foods who died at 62 from a coronary thrombosis (blocked heart artery) from cholesterol. Same with my mom who also worked hard her whole life (leather repair/saddle making) and died from the same reason at 72. Sister at 57, though she also smoked and was less active.

Not flaming anyone for eating the egg, bacon, sausage, pan gravy, red meat, fried food, and high-fat type stuff but do still have to wonder if it' all that good for you. I like the occasional BLT, egg sandwich, onion rings, etc., but mostly try to stay low on salt and sugar intake - inching my way towards 74 with no health problems except for COPD due to 40+ years of smoking (quit in 2009).

Were they on medications?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found out last year my quad bypass didn't take. All of the bypasses died off. I still have blockages by=ut I have two stents that opened them up and I'm on blood thinners for life.

Statins give me severe leg cramps. I mean emergency room leg cramps. I just took my Sureclick Repatha shot for the month.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were they on medications?
Not that I know of. Dad seemed to be pretty healthy even after he retired. Spent his retirement days continuing to work on his retirement home in the mountains, hunting, fishing, and SCUBA diving mountain lakes. He retired in Jan '69 and died in Jun '69 - which sucks big time.
Mom retired in about '79 and moved back to Wyoming where she was born. Had her first major stroke at 66 in '82 and died in '85 in a nursing home at the age of 69 (corrected from saying 72, earlier). Also not on any medication that I know of, at least until she had her first stroke.
Same with sister whom, again, was not on any medications that I know of when she died at 57.

The early deaths could have been genetic but I have to believe that much of it was due to unhealthy diet - high fat and too much sodium, too much red meat and not enough fish, and not enough veggies and fruits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom