Differences between reloading pistol rounds as opposed to rifle rounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reloading for a few years but only bottle necked rifle cartridges....I am thinking of expanding I to 9mm, .40 and .45 pistol rounds. What's the down and dirty on the differences with prepping the brass and reloading that I need to be aware of? Obviously I know there are different powders for pistols but questions I have such as resizer die seating, are there case gauges for pistol brass, etc...?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not prep the brass near as much for pistol.
No need to trim except for the initial.. as the cases do not seem to grow..some will grow much if any at all.

I really like the carbide dies for this pistol loading.
If you are down this way i will let you load some 45acp if you want or 357.
Let you try out a disc powder measure...

Did you get to go deer hunting?

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the disc powder measure able to be used on a progressive? Do you still use case lube on the pistol brass? Or is this why carbide dies are preferred?

Swamp...yep, went deer hunting twice and got me a whole lot of nothing! Lol. But it was a ton of fun anyway....I am hoping to get out to do some prairie dog hunting if I can find a place !

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistol ammunition presents its own unique challenges. Namely the potential to double charge a case. Certain powders have densities that will easily fit double into a case. Careful attention in this area minimizes your risk. You do not have to use lube with carbide die sets. With that being said, I load progressively and find it extremely helpful to spray the cases with a little One Shot. This will remove most of the jerkiness out of the press when loading.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my disc measure on a progressive with the lee powder through expander die.
No lube needed... with carbide dies.
I do buy the lee 4 die set as it has the carbide crimp die ..that is a great die.. it sizes the case and will also crimp if you want it to.
I do not crimp for my 357 or my 45acp... but i do size after loading with the carbide lee die.
This straightens the case and puts plenty of hold on my bullets...

I took an old friend hunting to my favorite public land WMA spot and him and his 15 year old boy saw 2 deer and froze as they trotted away first thing in the morning.
Then they went to set up a tent blind.. not my idea.. but city hunters and new to the whole experience.

While trying to figure out the blind 2 more deer were standing and watching them jacking around.
When they finally looked up and seen the deer starring at them it was too late as they were walking away into the brush..

They had fun though...
I told them both to keep their eyes peeled before they went to set up the blind as more deer would come out.
They will do better next round..

I got 2 deer from that same spot or close to it.. 50 yards away.. this year... went by myself that trip.

You need to make it over here and try out the loader and see if something like that will work for you..

Latest posts

Top Bottom