Dillon primer feed help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a dillon 550. I switched from spp to lpp. And now back to spp again. For some reason, the primers are not feeding right. It either doens't drop a primer, or it drops two or three or sometimes more to where they are spilling out. I've tried putting a new drop tube end on and messing with the little stop that keeps the primers from falling. Any ideas to fix this? It took me an hour to load 15 rounds yesterday between messing with the feed and reloading primers into it. That's driving me crazy!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never thought to try cleaning it!! Duh! I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks.

I would LOL, but I am in the same boat ... If it doesn't work the first thing I do is holler "Hey, GC ..." :laugh6: Then he says "did you clean it". What? Why would I clean **fill in the blank with whatever piece of machinery is not working for me**??

Hope that fixes your problem!

Aldrin44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check to see if you're using the correct primer magazine tube. Make sure it's seated all the way down. Make sure you're using the correct primer seating cup and that its pressed all the way down and locked into place. It should be no further than 1.220 from the bottom of the primer slide to the top of the cup. If its not all the way down it will look like its working but will feed primers very inconsistently.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check to make sure the nub on the plastic part of the tube drops into the notch of the feeder. You can rotate it and feel it drop in.
Good luck.

Rob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As said earlier, make sure you are using the small primer tubes rather than the large. I did the same thing and it caused all kinds of problems till I figured it out.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As said earlier, make sure you are using the small primer tubes rather than the large. I did the same thing and it caused all kinds of problems till I figured it out.

Same thing goes for the primer press. I made the mistake, once (johnny dangerously voice), of not switching back to the SPP widget (sorry dont know what its called, its the part that slides back to pickup a new primer then back up under the shellplate.)

Check to make sure the nub on the plastic part of the tube drops into the notch of the feeder. You can rotate it and feel it drop in.
Good luck.

Most likely, I think Moose has the gold here. If the tube nub's notch isnt aligned with the notch in the press tube, it wont seat down far enough causing more than enough primers to feed into the cup. If I had to bet on what was causing it, my money is on moose.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green
Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the
tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and
swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the
Primer Housing eld, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward"
at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform
(14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before
tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to
top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between
2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a
few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Make sure you're using the correct primer seating cup and that its pressed all the way down and locked into place. It should be no further than 1.220 from the bottom of the primer slide to the top of the cup. If its not all the way down it will look like its working but will feed primers very inconsistently.

We have a winner!!! Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I forgot when I switched the cups and didn't check to see if it was seated far enough down. And of course it wasn't. That got me back up and running! Thanks again guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom