Discouraged Coyote Hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went coyote hunting all day on Saturday. I
made 8 stands and saw nothing. I'm getting frustrated. I saw a guys post on here that a guy called in 10 in 3 stands. What the heck am I doing wrong. I account for wind and know my foxpro works. I just don't know.

C

coythtr

I hunt a ton of uncalled private land, but i also hunt a lot of public land, i scout alot, go out to where u hunt before dark listen for howls, look for scat, if posible find someone who coyote hunts and tag along and try to learn some tips.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt a ton of uncalled private land, but i also hunt a lot of public land, i scout alot, go out to where u hunt before dark listen for howls, look for scat, if posible find someone who coyote hunts and tag along and try to learn some tips.

Yep,..might take your foxpro with a howl call out about dark, play it and see if anything answers.

And if all that fails, find a road killed deer or empty all the freezerburned meat out of the freezer and put it out on one of the places you hunt.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged. I went out 4 times with several dry stands each this year before I finally got one to come in. After that it seems like it has been pretty regular but it will stop again. That is just how coyote calling works. Keep going and it will happen for you. You will learn more each time and get better. I have been going for so many years that I have spots where I know they are there and can be successful. It is much harder to call blind and do well. Keep after them. You have till the end of Feb for cats and can hunt the coyotes till you can't stand the skeeters and ticks.

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too! I see coyote when I deer hunt on public and after I clean a hog and it's dark- I've had some Bad coyote experiences, but I take out my fox pro and an apache call I just got... And nothing- even with coon pee on lil decoy. Thought bout using bait , like sum deer or hog scraps. Think I will now. Been out twice after deer season where I saw 3 coyotes and a bobcat during gun season and stayed out all day ... Got skunked

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guys dont discouraged. When i first started it took me a year to shoot my first yote. I was not doing anything wrong even hunted with guys that had been hunting them for years. Just was not in the cards for me. Finally one morning when nobody wanted to get up and go i decieded to see what would happen and went out alone. I came up over a pond damn and seen 3 playing about 400 yrds out. I got to a place I knew I could sit and got myself ready. Started calling, let me say i had never called before and was using a mouth call, one came in to see what was going on crossed about 75 yrds infront of me and POW I shot and she went down. But it did take me a year to get one. I just kept telling myself it was better to be out than waisting my time on the couch wondering what i would have seen. Keep it up and it will happen.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing,..if you're hunting public land, it might have been hit pretty hard with the dying rabbit, and coyotes get wise real quick once they've been shot at. Be sure to try some different calls like the dying birds or pups in distress.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went coyote hunting all day on Saturday. I
made 8 stands and saw nothing. I'm getting frustrated. I saw a guys post on here that a guy called in 10 in 3 stands. What the heck am I doing wrong. I account for wind and know my foxpro works. I just don't know.

If you have the "Juv red fox distress" on your foxpro try it. yote were running all over us this weekend. We were calling yotes in like never before with this sound.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We also went out saturday morning til about noon and called in 2 within 100yrds... we missed both :(
we did 5 sits so 3 came up blank, sometimes it just depends on how the spot is and sometimes its the yote. Just keep at it and try different calling techniques and u will eventually find what works,

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with Allout, and I might add it seemed the 2 we seen we had sit and called for at least 20-30 min before they showed up, so stay put and stay alert, somtimes they just take a while to come in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom