DISH Network - upgrade in progress...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I called DISH today to upgrade our receiver.

A little background:

We've been with DISH Network since... oh, I think about 2007. So, a few years back, we called to upgrade from our 722k receiver to the new Hopper DVR. Looking back at my notes (yes, I made notes, because I was suspicious), it looks like an operator identified by the code X5F took my "order", which was supposed to include an upgrade of our lines and equipment to a Hopper DVR with 2 Joeys for additional TVs, and NO new contract. I made it CLEAR to operator X5F that I would not be signing a 2-year contract extension.

However, when the technician came out, he spent a couple hours installing the new stuff, then brought in the contract for me to sign. Ughhh... no. He ended up out in his truck for about a half-hour talking to someone, then came back in and told me it was a no-go. No contract, no equipment. I told him that was fine, I guess he could undo all his work, take back his activated equipment and then reinstall all our other stuff to restore us back to our original status - since Operator X4F had lied to us (5/19/14). More phone calls, and I ended up on the phone with Operator 1S3 who got us straightened out (5/21/14 ~1600-1630 hrs), all equipment upgraded and installed and assured me there would be no early termination fees if we decided to cancel service.

Since we are still with them, this was a moot point, apparently, but I didn't want to sign a contract.

Fast-forward now, three years, and our Hopper is starting to mess up. Skipping portions of recorded or buffered content, etc. So I assume it needs replacement. So I get online and open a chat session.

Initially, the guy on the other end tells me to upgrade to the Hopper 3, which has 16 tuners and supports UHD/4k content, it will be $100 and a 2-year contract. I tell him, no way, not gonna happen. I explained what happened last time, explained we had been loyal DISH customers for 10 years, and if they felt that loyalty and longevity meant nothing, I could always talk to DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse, which has recently moved into my area.

So he spends a couple minutes "checking the upgrade options" and comes back and tells me that they can upgrade me to the Hopper 3, install all new wiring needs and do it all with no upgrade fee and no contact. Only change will be that my bill will go up $3/month from upgrading the DVR.

I reiterate the terms, explicitly including no contract and no fees, and everything is included. He agrees. So, we schedule an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

I took the precaution of printing out the chat session and will have that ready tomorrow for the tech to review, and we will not be signing a new contract.

I'll update here to let you know how it goes. ;) Hopefully, everything is smooth.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know that you could upgrade without signing a contract. That's good news.

I never did sign a contract with Dish, so everytime they try to raise my bill (every 6 months), I threaten to drop their service and they end up leaving my pricing the same. If they could upgrade me to the hopper without any contract at all, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Let me know how it goes!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So he spends a couple minutes "checking the upgrade options" and comes back and tells me that they can upgrade me to the Hopper 3, install all new wiring needs and do it all with no upgrade fee and no contact. Only change will be that my bill will go up $3/month from upgrading the DVR.

I reiterate the terms, explicitly including no contract and no fees, and everything is included. He agrees. So, we schedule an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

I took the precaution of printing out the chat session and will have that ready tomorrow for the tech to review, and we will not be signing a new contract.

I'll update here to let you know how it goes. ;) Hopefully, everything is smooth.
Basically, my folks just went thru this. Have been Dish Customers since Primestar went out of business, hadn't had an upgrade in years, wanted HD to go along with their new HD TV.

Dish was glad to upgrade to basic HD receiver an HD programming, no cost with 2 year contract. No big deal cause they're not going to switch anyway.

Go over all the particulars, just like you did, no change in rates, all free, nothing else for them to do, yada yada yada, go over it a second time, YOU SURE THIS WON"T COST US, "yeah, we're phasing out old equipment want to get everyone on the same playing field, YOU SURE IT"S FREE, yes, no charge, yada yada yada...

Installer changes out the stuff, everything works fine, installer leaves.

Next month's bill, no change in programming, no cost for equipment, but a $95 dollar "installation fee"!!

Spent an hour on the phone to the Philippines hashing out what the meaning of "liar" is..

Ended up agreeing to pay the bill, but Dish would give a credit of $95 on the next bill, which they did...

Beware the "installer fee" on next month's bill....

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I covered that, too, and I have it printed out in the text of the chat we had. Although we should never have any such fees, since we pay $8 per month in some kind of service fee to cover service calls. In fact, the guy I was chatting with recommended if I were going to cancel that to wait until after the installation is done before I cancel it, as it will cover this service call.

But I will watch out for it. He actually told me what next month's bill is going to be, as well, which is only $3 more than this month's bill, plus a little for pro-rated use on the end of this month's billing cycle.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It kind of makes one not be wanting to forgive Dish. I am a forgiving guy but when they tell you one thing and then do another it goes across the grain.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Which is why I will not budge on this stuff. I specifically told the guy, loyalty and longevity should count for something, but I will look elsewhere if they don't treat me right. And I will. Screw them. But I know all (and I do mean ALL!) cable providers will screw you over the same way. So I feel zero remorse in holding their feet to the fire if they try to pull a fast one on me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much them screwing you over as it is lack of communications within their system. The website of all these providers (AT&T, Cox, Dish, etc.) are really antiquated and slow as hell. They are in the telecom business for Pete's sake, they should be state of the art! But no, they are slow, clunky and hard to navigate. I'm sure it's worse when you are inside of their firewalls. It probably takes a helluva lot of effort to retrieve the details of your phone agreement if the installer even has access to it.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much them screwing you over as it is lack of communications within their system. The website of all these providers (AT&T, Cox, Dish, etc.) are really antiquated and slow as hell. They are in the telecom business for Pete's sake, they should be state of the art! But no, they are slow, clunky and hard to navigate. I'm sure it's worse when you are inside of their firewalls. It probably takes a helluva lot of effort to retrieve the details of your phone agreement if the installer even has access to it.

Yes, I have Cox and there are as screwed up as can be. Phone people tell you one thing then online chat says another and their tv ads say
something else. Also had a friend that upgraded his Dish to the new receiver or whatever they are called and he had nothing but
trouble with it. Has had to have 2 or 3 of them and don't know whether he has ever got them to solve the problem. I am about ready
to just go with my smartphone and junk the rest!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have Cox and there are as screwed up as can be. Phone people tell you one thing then online chat says another and their tv ads say
something else. Also had a friend that upgraded his Dish to the new receiver or whatever they are called and he had nothing but
trouble with it. Has had to have 2 or 3 of them and don't know whether he has ever got them to solve the problem. I am about ready
to just go with my smartphone and junk the rest!

We use Direct TV, when it comes time to renew, we get the BS, then the wife asks to talk to to the "drop the service" or what ever they call it, and gets a great deal for free renewal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom