Dish or Direct TV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I'll go against the grain. I had Dish for like 8 years and had a couple DVRs go down in short succession. Switched to Direct for a year and hated it. More expensive and all the menus seemed backwards to me so I was always hitting the wrong button and losing shows etc. Hated it enough that I went back to Dish when I moved and payed the penalty. Saved enough with promotions and such to cover the cancellation fees. The hopper was much different than the previous receiver I had but seemed much more user friendly and natural to me. Only complaint I have is you can only record 2 shows at once and if both are recording, you have to watch either what's recording or a previously recorded program. Has only happened like once though so not a huge deal for us. Still, Dish does need to get on par with the multiple recording capability but overall I am pleased with my switch back to Dish. Cheaper too even after promos end.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would get satellite in this state, considering the storms.

Why not use online streaming services and just pay for Internet only?

Rural areas don't have quite the abundance of bandwidth to support such an endeavor. Plus the storms are a rare occurrence. At least ones heavy enough to block the signal.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rural areas don't have quite the abundance of bandwidth to support such an endeavor. Plus the storms are a rare occurrence. At least ones heavy enough to block the signal.

Point taken. But when I had Dish back in Ohio, it seemed even a little drizzle would cause the connection to drop. But maybe that's just the lake weather. I assumed the storms to be more intense here.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good direct TV installer won't settle for acceptable sat signal during the installation. If you line that dish up dead nuts it takes a major storm to interfere with your TV. When I lived in Coweta we had dish once in 3 years we had minor reception issues. I really liked the Direct TV guide.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good direct TV installer won't settle for acceptable sat signal during the installation. If you line that dish up dead nuts it takes a major storm to interfere with your TV. When I lived in Coweta we had dish once in 3 years we had minor reception issues. I really liked the Direct TV guide.

You can also get one of the old 6 foot KU band dishes and get a modern LNB and use that if you are REALLY worried about signal loss.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would get satellite in this state, considering the storms.

Why not use online streaming services and just pay for Internet only?

Well for me, satellite is my only choice. I live too far from the big cities to get much in the way of OTA programming, the only internet option I have is slow and has to buffer youtube vids at low quality so streaming netflix is out of the question, and the town I live in doesn't have a cable option at all. Basically it's satellite or nothing.

With a properly aligned dish, it takes a pretty good downpour to lose signal. With a dish aligned to "good enough" for a clear day, heavy clouds can jack up your signal.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had Dish at home since 97. I've had Direct TV at my office for about a year. Dish has much better technology and probably always will. Dish is more affordable. Direct has more sports choices for a price. My parents recently moved out of town and I didn't have to think twice before I ordered Dish for them. They had no problems and the new equipment is awesome. I just ordered a free upgrade of my gear.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Direct TV is for us. Storms are a pain but we have plenty else to watch. Direct TV has always been good with their service.

Just a warning....don't start a website called "I hate Cox"...a buddy of mine did that and 10,000 lesbians signed up on the first day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom