DISH TV or Direct TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Cox because I simply cannot get AT&T to compare on the package I want.

I want digital HD cable, all the "tiers" but no need for the premium movie channels, and 1 HD DVR (I have one TV). I want phone, but just a phone line (no extras). I want basic Internet (but I do get the middle option on Cox as it is no different in price). Through AT&T, to get all of this, it runs something like 40-50 more a month, as I have to get the bundle deals that include all the phone features and offer me like 3 more DVRs that I don't need.

Can't do the dishes as I use the other services. My cell phone is a work phone, so I actually use my home phone, which is basically free through Cox with the bundling discounts. Bundling can saye money and should be considered when considering a move to dish TV services. Maybe not an issue for everyone, but again... worth considering.

I have an older DLP 720p TV, so I can't comment on quality of HD signal, but you guys arguing about picture quality know that the best HD signal is through the antenna, right (if you have reception)?? So when it is Superbowl Sunday, hook up the rabbit ears :)

I have had Cox fail to bad weather - the rain storm was so bad it waterlogged the equipment boxes on the side of the house. It does not get better when the storm is over either, and requires a service call to resolve (unlike the dish which receives signal and works again when the clouds/weather clear). I have been happy with Cox but to say they are immune to weather-related issues is naive.

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dropped DirecTV after them refusing to upgrade my dish to receive their new HD channels, despite the fact I had an HD receiver. They wanted to charge me $200 to come out and replace it, plus a new 2 year contract! Prices always being raised and there is nothing you can do about it.

Paid $200 for the HD receiver and after I canceled, they demanded it be returned, or pay another $400. Don't get DirecTV, you never own the equipment even if you have to pay any up front.

Never had DISH, so I can't say. I survive just fine on broadcast, Netflix, and all that can be streamed with a Playstation 3. Saving nearly $100 per month. Money better spent on ammo and guns. :gun1:

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Direct TV HD, the picture is awesome and I do actually own my equipment. The people with all these outages must have their dish not set up right. I've had Direct for over 3 years now and its probably been out 3 times. Each time being during a heavy heavy rain storm that sounded like the roof was getting beat to death and it was only off "no signal" for a couple mins.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Direct TV HD, the picture is awesome and I do actually own my equipment. The people with all these outages must have their dish not set up right. I've had Direct for over 3 years now and its probably been out 3 times. Each time being during a heavy heavy rain storm that sounded like the roof was getting beat to death and it was only off "no signal" for a couple mins.

That's the way my "Dish" satellite has been. Loss of signal has never been a problem for me in 8 years.

I have Netflix as well, and the over the air signals. However I do like to watch sports, and a few of the otherwise unavailable programs, so we still have the satellite.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have DirecTV and I really like it. They have the whole home DVR which is nice. Also, they have more satellites in the air, so they don't have to cram the channels into less bandwidth. What this means is the HD signals are less compressed and look better, not to mention they have more HD channels to begin with. I can't stand watching non-HD anymore.

For anyone who has signal problems in a storm, it's a dish alignment issue. Either get up there and tweak it yourself or complain to your service provider.

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I currently have Dish Network and love it. I think the picture on my tv is better and I know the customer service is better that Direct. I had Direct for 4 years, will never ever go back to them. Their customer service is horrible and they will LIE to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom