What Is the Cheapest Way to Watch TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got rid of cable many years ago. All we watch is Korean/ Hong Kong dramas on Tubi with the Roku.
Reading subtitles keeps the brain active. Plus there's so many thousands of English language shows that are free.
Maybe it's just me, but Bollywood shows make my head hurt. I think it's their accent.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to the range, depending on the firearm place an appropriate distance away, repeated mag dumps. Nothing good on anyway and if you only watch the news it eliminates the problems of holes in the wall.

Really getting to the point I even question why I have one.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a year ago we dumped DirecTV and it's been a bad breakup. They cancelled service with no problem but after two months started billing me for "leased equipment not returned." This was incorrect because all of my equipment was owned, not leased. Most equipment at DTV is leased, but mine was not. I have asked them repeatedly to provide me a signed lease agreement if they disagree but of course they never have. Instead they have continued to bill me fraudulently and even turned it over to collections. Even the collection agency must think the debt is invalid because after my response to their inquiry they closed my account and returned the bill to DirecTV. All of this is to say that they really suck and don't deserve your money. They're also way overpriced for the service they provide.

Since dumping DTV I have tried Philo, Sling and YouTube TV. I even had all of them at once. All of them have streaming and DVR capability but of the three, only YouTube TV streams locals live. With Sling you buy an external DVR tuner box, your own external hard drive and hook up to an external antenna for your locals. Only YouTube TV actually streams the locals and records them to the virtual DVR.

The best picture and lowest cost you can get is an over-the-air signal and an on-premise DVR solution. The cool thing is that there are also a whole bunch of TV signals out there in addition to the major networks. I think in Tulsa we have like 32 channels. As mentioned before, Sling works this way and you can also add cable channels to it if you like. Another option for live signals and a DVR is Tablo. Both Sling and Tablo have tablet, phone, Roku and smart TV apps to view.

In the end we just couple YouTube TV with some streaming apps. I also still have my Sling still set up for free locals only. If you don't care about live network TV you can get Peacock, Hulu, and Paramount Plus to get "day after" viewing of all network shows. Obviously that's a no-go if you like sports and want to watch the local news live.

Latest posts

Top Bottom