DISH TV or Direct TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had cox when I lived in the city. I love their internet.

Now, out in the sticks, directv - no real problems. I liked cox better but, no problems with directv. Have lost the signal about a half dozen times in the 10 months we've had it.

The internet out here is what really sucks. Only things available were either "wireless" or satellite. Both suck compared to cox. It's probably better than dial up but it is really slow.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with UVerse being awesome (very cheap in comparison to other services). My choices would be Uverse > Cox > Dish > Direct as far as all bundled services. I don't like satellite because its always during the bad weather you want to have uninterrupted service for safety and for entertainment and satellite will always fall to bad weather. For that sole reason, I will never get it.

This amazes me ... When we had Cox our television was "out" more than it was "in". I was always having trouble. I don't know if it makes a difference but we have been told we live in a dead spot between two towers. Heck, GC's radio in his car doesn't even work at our house. He has to go to the end of the street to go 10-7 every night. Now that we have Direct our tv has gone out twice, maybe three times, in the last year or so.

Actually, if I had my way we wouldn't even have TV ... :rolleyes2 This is all GC's doing ...

We used to have everything bundled with Cox ... after our contract expired the prices sky-rocketed and odd charges started showing up on our bill. I was on the phone with them every month it seemed like. I slowly found other services because I kept hearing from their customer service reps that if I didn't like it I could have that service disconnected.

Took me a whole year to finally drop first the phone, then the internet and finally the cable. I was with them for longer than I had been married to GC (9 years at the time). We even have a friend who works for Cox who basically said "Well, they can do that. they are the best provider in town."

Uhmmmmm ... well ... ooooo-kkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy then ...

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This amazes me ... When we had Cox our television was "out" more than it was "in". I was always having trouble. I don't know if it makes a difference but we have been told we live in a dead spot between two towers. Heck, GC's radio in his car doesn't even work at our house. He has to go to the end of the street to go 10-7 every night. Now that we have Direct our tv has gone out twice, maybe three times, in the last year or so.

Actually, if I had my way we wouldn't even have TV ... :rolleyes2 This is all GC's doing ...

We used to have everything bundled with Cox ... after our contract expired the prices sky-rocketed and odd charges started showing up on our bill. I was on the phone with them every month it seemed like. I slowly found other services because I kept hearing from their customer service reps that if I didn't like it I could have that service disconnected.

Took me a whole year to finally drop first the phone, then the internet and finally the cable. I was with them for longer than I had been married to GC (9 years at the time). We even have a friend who works for Cox who basically said "Well, they can do that. they are the best provider in town."

Uhmmmmm ... well ... ooooo-kkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy then ...

I have had no issues with Cox other than the Bouncing bill which goes up and down up and down and the contract has eliminated that. I am happy and that is all.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had no issues with Cox other than the Bouncing bill which goes up and down up and down and the contract has eliminated that. I am happy and that is all.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't picking on you. I have heard horror stories about all of the services but Cox is the only one who has ever done me that way. There was another thread last year, I think ... I went back to look for it but my search foo is weak today.

Good thing there is more than one provider out there, huh?? Cuz how you feel with Cox is how I feel with Direct. :D

(And I still want get UVerse ... :D)

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had DirectTV starting in 1994, started the second day it was available. I owned the equipment then and, after 2 years, when it broke I dropped the service. Seemed like they were constantly reshuffling the packages so I had to pay more to keep the channels I liked.
Went to Heartland wireless for a while, but wasn't to happy with that.
Got Dish, still have it. I had problems with loss of signal, complained to Dish and they sent out a tech to align the antenna properly and have had much better reception. It takes really heavy rain to lose signal. It's kind of amusing sometimes, the signal will drop just before a big downpour arrives. Never more than a few minutes interruption.
When Dish offered a free upgrade to HD I called them to sign up. However, they wanted my credit card info for the "free" upgrade and I declined to provide it. I won't give Dish, or any other company, access to my credit card or bank accounts. So, I still have standard def TV.
I'm hoping AT&T will get U-verse going on my street but it may be a while. I've only had working (1.3 Mb) DSL from them for about 3 months so I'm not holding my breath for U-verse.
If I had decent bandwidth I'd just use my Internet connection and Netflix.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another happy dish network customer here. I switched from Cox 6 months ago and Dish seemed to have the better options and price vs. Direct tv. No regrets.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with UVerse being awesome (very cheap in comparison to other services). My choices would be Uverse > Cox > Dish > Direct as far as all bundled services. I don't like satellite because its always during the bad weather you want to have uninterrupted service for safety and for entertainment and satellite will always fall to bad weather. For that sole reason, I will never get it.

This statement is simply not true....the satellite does not ALWAYS fall to bad weather. That thought is becoming an urban legend....I have had Dish for 8 years now, and I can count on one hand the times it has gone out. And even then it's never more than just 2-3 minutes before it comes back up.

ALL services get their programming off of satellite, whether cable, uverse, etc. They all have interruptions at times. My in laws, and stepson both have uverse, the picture quality sucks compared to my satellite picture.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a samsung 46" LED 1080 240hz tv.

My parents had DirecTV through AT&T with DSL and Phone. On DirecTV HD, I give it a 75% quality. Any major storm in the march - july area (mainly our tornado season) we had outages. They had DirecTV for 5 years before I moved out (only had my tv for one year before I moved out) and we had probably 50 outages over the 5 years.

Got Uverse at my first apt for 1 year. Bill was cheap compared to my current cox, internet was very comparable and probably faster, HD was better than DirecTV but there were less channels.

Currently on cox, same tv, HD is on par with the Uverse I had. Cox has been adding more channels and all, main complaint is the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom