Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
  • Attic Antenna
  • Fed to a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Duo
  • Gigabit LAN throughout, Ubiquiti ERX, UAP-AC Lite and a 16 port POE switch to power UAPs
  • We split Netflix and Hulu with family
  • I crave speed so we keep our 300Mbps plan for my movie collecting (Plex Server feeds library to a TCL 6 series, NVidia Shield and Roku boxes)
  • Probably still overpaying for internet but Google Fiber and/or municipal fiber can't save everybody thanks to "MuH FrEe MaRkEtS"

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do either YouTubeTV or SlingTV have dvr feature? Also, are their still commercials in all of the shows you watch through either of them.
Yes and yes. Youtube is unlimited DVR space supposedly and Sling you get a tiny amount for free and can upgrade it to 50 hrs which still isn't a lot.

My mom is paying $200 a month to Cox just for the TV. $40 of that is in equipment rental fees per month. :faint:
Yes she's wanting to cut them after over 30 years and they could care less, they were not willing to do a thing for her monthly bill, not even an explanation of what actually did increase.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
  • Attic Antenna
  • Gigabit LAN throughout, Ubiquiti ERX, UAP-AC Lite and a 16 port POE switch to power UAPs
  • I crave speed so we keep our 300Mbps plan for my movie collecting (Plex Server feeds library to a TCL 6 series, NVidia Shield and Roku boxes)
  • Probably still overpaying for internet but Google Fiber and/or municipal fiber can't save everybody thanks to "MuH FrEe MaRkEtS"
See... This is the kinda stuff that has me feeling like a Neanderthal. [emoji38] I understood attic antenna. And, until I start looking at this cutting cable thing, I normally consider myself technologically functional.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See... This is the kinda stuff that has me feeling like a Neanderthal. [emoji38] I understood attic antenna. And, until I start looking at this cutting cable thing, I normally consider myself technologically functional.

Yeah, that's all super nerd I.T. stuff. Grab a quality antenna, mount it, connect to tv through digital converter, free tv.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all super nerd I.T. stuff. Grab a quality antenna, mount it, connect to tv through digital converter, free tv.
Get this $40 150 mile antenna from Amazon and you won't look back. We use it on our RV when nobody else in the park has any Air TV reception. We can get channels to watch when nobody else can. Doesn't take long and those antenna's start showing up around the park.

https://www.amazon.com/2019UPDATED-...t=&hvlocphy=9028193&hvtargid=pla-813293516087

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's the one I bought on your recommendation in a similar and/or this thread. Good stuff. Picked up channels 60 miles away in Wichita Falls. It's also available at Walmart for about the same price. It has since been moved to the shop.

I ended up mounting this one to my house, outdoors, wired to a better amp/converter. Pointed it Northwest for all the goods OKC has. Been a solid performer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See... This is the kinda stuff that has me feeling like a Neanderthal.
emoji38.png
I understood attic antenna. And, until I start looking at this cutting cable thing, I normally consider myself technologically functional.
It is kind of daunting to get setup. My elderly mother has a hard time switching inputs from OTA to the AppleTV box and vice versa. Setting it all up and even running it when setup can be a pain. Sometimes I miss when we just had OTA and had to change channels with a knob. Like the HD tho...

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You might check out Hulu as well. You can get no commercials except when watching live tv. I’d be interested to compare to YouTube tv in actual use instead of comparison charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cutting cable is pretty easy, I just went full jargon! The HDHomerun basically lets you blast your attic signal over your network to any device that can pick it up (via apps usually). My model has 4 tuners, allowing for up to 4 devices to watch different channels.

The LAN stuff is just my gear for the home network. Our house is a 1920s craftsman so I ran ethernet throughout, and furnish my own router, modem and wifi access points rather than relying on the big Cox. I use Plex to organize all of my digital media and then I can pick it off of my server and watch it on any of the smart/streaming boxes in house.

Happy to help if anybody is looking to cut the cable and stick it to them.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
  • Attic Antenna
Is this written in English?

Latest posts

Top Bottom