DIY Deer Processing Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Read a little bit about aging meat. (it works much better if carcass is whole)

I don't like to soak meat, but obviously some folks do. I do like to have it near freezing before slicing and dicing, it makes things much easier. Sharp knives, freezer bags or vacuum bags, paper towels, and I always clean equipment with bleach/water mix. If you're cutting it up indoors, try to keep room temp as low as possible. I use a hand grinder to grind meat, but I'm old-fashioned. The equipment can vary, but temps and cleanliness need to be priority. There's a to of literature on meat processing available - read up on it, don't just "do it this way" cause someone on the net said so.

Isn't he going to find that literature on the net? Lol :) I'd say that 90% of people, no matter the method, processes a deer just the way his dad and grandpa did. I know some really like the "game/blood" flavor.

I tried the curing a whole deer rump/leg last year and it seemed t go well for about a month............then it really seemed to go down hill and I'm still not sure what I did wrong.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Was really looking for equipment information. What brand and model yall use and have found successful, Electric VS manual grinder, etc..
I do appreciate the curing advice. I've got a nice shop at my house to hang the deer in and process them.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the quarters and meat off the carcass, put it in a cooler in trash bags with ice.
Most of the time it sets at least over night, sometimes a couple days, then cut it off the bone.
put in freezer for a bit, and grind. Some times it sits in refrigerator a day or so again.
Grind, and freeze, mix with 5% cheep hamburger if wanted.
Also tastes great if you use ground pork! We do this for giving to someone that is not use to venison.
We can't tell much difference in the ground if it's aged for a day or 4 days.
The roasts might be better after 4 days, if kept cool.
We left one hanging in the shop for 3 days when it was 30 at night and 60 day, it was almost over the hill.

Knifes are not anything expensive, as long as they are SHARP. They will get dull so keep the ceramic rod with you.
Wife likes a 5" I use a 3" paring and a 6" Chicago cutlery knife. It is what you like, you can use anything you want.
I have done the whole thing with my pocket knife.

1/2 hp grinder from Cabelas, passed down from my father. Use 1 lb wild game bags (not LEM brand).
Zip locks on backstrap, roasts, etc. Vacuum sealer works well also. Don't get blood in the sealer.
Butcher paper will work, but you have to know how to fold it so you don't get freezer burn. Found out the hard way.

Bones get stuck in a WM bag, and fed to the dogs. Cheaper then dog food, and a lot better.

Get a cheap tarp to place under the deer when processing, a lot easier to clean or throw away,
then cleaning the concrete in the shop.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't stress yourself out about it. ... I'm just saying you don't have to over think it.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Have to agree with this. You don't need vacuum sealers and electric grinders to do the job. Up until not long ago those things didn't even exist. It is one of those things that you will get better with experience, learning different muscle groups, cuts of meat and where/how to cut around certain bones. Sharp knife will probably help you more than anything.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question: when you skin and quarter a deer, so you have to keep the sex organs and head after you e-check it in? The regs aren't clear to me.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question: when you skin and quarter a deer, so you have to keep the sex organs and head after you e-check it in? The regs aren't clear to me.

The head/sex-organs should remain attached to the deer until it arrives at it's final destination, per my understanding, so that there is definitive proof of gender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom