Do any of you hunt over fruit trees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today in my food plots in planting pear, Apple, peach and a few pecan trees. It's about 50/50 on the trees being for me and for the wildlife. Just wondering if any of you have much luck over the apple or pear trees in October.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an apple and pear tree in the yard. We rarely get any apples off it because the deer get them first. They keep the low hanging limbs nipped off too. Be sure to get the trees that put on fruit late in the season. Some apple trees mature in early September.
Back when Kaw lake was new, one of the best spots to hunt was the old city of Uncas. All of the old homesteads had fallow gardens and fruit trees in the yards. In the spring we would pick asperagus and onions, etc. it's been flooded so many times now that none is left.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to cage my fruit trees because the bucks rub the bark and have killed 1 tree and rubbed half the bark off another before I could cage them. Last evening I put my cages on the trees as I expect the scrapes and rubs to show up by Thursday.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hunted a persimmon grove at thunderbird but never seen any deer at it. This place was thick with persimmons too. They were all over the ground. Even cut one open to taste and see if it was ripe

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sat near persimmons and found deer go to them right after shooting hours (figures)..I have seen deer eating hedge apples though early in the mornings.

And not just a bite or 2 but the deer would eat over 1/2 of the hedge apple. Not something i would have ever thought of watching while hunting.
I see them eating young grass or mowed by the side of the road grass the most.

I will be tilling a couple of long paths and planting some grasses this year to see what happens on them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have to cage my fruit trees because the bucks rub the bark and have killed 1 tree and rubbed half the bark off another before I could cage them. Last evening I put my cages on the trees as I expect the scrapes and rubs to show up by Thursday.

Saw scrape when checking a cam Wednesday..........earliest I've ever seen.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer love the pears this time of year, my parents have to keep the ones that falls on the ground picked up or the deer will come to the house and clean them up along with other things they shouldnt be eating so parents will pick them up and take them over in the pasture and pour them out on the ground and they are all gone by the next day when they take more over.

Taylmatr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a buddy from work bring me a whole bucket of pears. Set them out and got a ton of coyote pics. Would of never thought they would like pears more than the deer. Went back to corn and no more yotes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom