Do farmers take vacations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
our dogs go everywhere with us when possible, so no worries with them.I honestly have no idea what it looks like in terms of me running some sort of farm. I am just trying to learn as much as I can right now. Currently I imagine just owning a few hundred acres, like 100-600, setting it up like conservation land, to where I buy crappy farmland and can take my kids hunting in the back yard, while having privacy, even if we have neighborhoods built around the property line. I figure the plan would be having enough chickens, cows, pigs, and meat goats to be self sustaining in terms of us growing most of our food. A good sized garden. Maybe if I decide I like it having a decent sized apiary, and raising turkeys/ducks/quail/pheasants for game farms/dog training/meat. Really just looking to eat good and take the edge off of my mortgage and grocery bill to where owning that much land makes sense.

I always imagined that with smaller operations you could have somebody check on the critters occasionally and maybe get away with an automated feeder/waterer, lol. I know it’s more complicated than that, but I don’t have a grasp of it yet. I just know that the wife likes the beach, and we both like seeing places outside of Oklahoma, and I want to figure out if my visions I have for my life can meet up.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
our dogs go everywhere with us when possible, so no worries with them.I honestly have no idea what it looks like in terms of me running some sort of farm. I am just trying to learn as much as I can right now. Currently I imagine just owning a few hundred acres, like 100-600, setting it up like conservation land, to where I buy crappy farmland and can take my kids hunting in the back yard, while having privacy, even if we have neighborhoods built around the property line. I figure the plan would be having enough chickens, cows, pigs, and meat goats to be self sustaining in terms of us growing most of our food. A good sized garden. Maybe if I decide I like it having a decent sized apiary, and raising turkeys/ducks/quail/pheasants for game farms/dog training/meat. Really just looking to eat good and take the edge off of my mortgage and grocery bill to where owning that much land makes sense.

I always imagined that with smaller operations you could have somebody check on the critters occasionally and maybe get away with an automated feeder/waterer, lol. I know it’s more complicated than that, but I don’t have a grasp of it yet. I just know that the wife likes the beach, and we both like seeing places outside of Oklahoma, and I want to figure out if my visions I have for my life can meet up.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘ve been married 34 years and have never been on a real vacation with my family. When my boys were young, we were too poor to afford a vacation, and after I started my business in 1999, there was no way I could be gone for more that a day or maybe two at a time. My inlaws have taken my kids on vacations, and my wife has taken my daughter on several trips.
After losing my main business at the beginning of covid, I have been freer to go and do stuff than I ever have in my entire life, but now all my kids are grown and gone.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, but do you fit vacationing into that lifestyle?
No, not inline with what you are thinking.
“Vacation” at the farm is as simple as dropping a worm into the pond to catch a couple bluegill to put on setlines in the river,or a quick run through one of the pastures to collect a few quail for dinner.
Some of us just lead a simple life and there is not an attraction to the circus shows in town.

Latest posts

Top Bottom