Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what was the excuse before the funding cuts our students were still at the bottom then

When was the last time Oklahoma teachers were competitive in pay/funding to top of whatever "list" you're referencing? I'm 42 and I have a handful of teachers in my family.... not since I've been alive.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When was the last time Oklahoma teachers were competitive in pay/funding to top of whatever "list" you're referencing? I'm 42 and I have a handful of teachers in my family.... not since I've been alive.
I have several teachers in my family also and watch them lay by the pool and go to the mall while i bust ass 14 hours a day all summer long so when people say teachers don't only work 9 months a year I have to call bs. Teaching is the only profession I know of where they all think they deserve a raise whether they perform or not. Institute performance based pay and I'll be all for teachers earning all they deserve

Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several teachers in my family also and watch them lay by the pool and go to the mall while i bust ass 14 hours a day all summer long so when people say teachers don't only work 9 months a year I have to call bs. Teaching is the only profession I know of were they all think they deserve a raise whether they perform or not. Institute performance based pay and I'll be all for teachers earning all they deserve
so you are jealous?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want me to respond, please stop attempting to insult me in every post. The problem with this forum is a few people, including me, cannot state appoint without insulting someone else.

I'm not really interested if you respond or not. Don't be sensitive, I didn't insult you. You are in fact going off on red herrings. The TOY individual I spoke of was a math teacher in Norman? Not TPS. If you believe his only merit is politics then more power to you. I've never met him but I will say that many teachers that I've seen win awards did so out of honest effort. I would say provide some reference to his shortcomings, but I don't really care. TPS? I'm not sure why you're on that tangent. The logistics of running a huge school district are vastly different than running a smaller one, like it or not, and I'm providing that blanket statements may come from a lack of experience within said communities.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have several teachers in my family also and watch them lay by the pool and go to the mall while i bust ass 14 hours a day all summer long so when people say teachers don't only work 9 months a year I have to call bs. Teaching is the only profession I know of were they all think they deserve a raise whether they perform or not. Institute performance based pay and I'll be all for teachers earning all they deserve

Not sure what your profession is saddlebum, but I'd gave to say that performance pay for teachers wouldnt be like performance pay for other occupations. Take a carpenter for example, if he receives faulty, broken or warped materials, he sends them back and gets new that will work. Nobody will expect him to either. Same with electricians, brick masons, etc. Some students will never perform, ever. Some teachers are better at motivating than others of course, but it starts at home.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm good with that. And while we're at it, let teachers have total control of the classroom; if your kid is a lazy or disruptive little ****, let them have the authority to have them permanently removed from their classroom. It's not fair to ask someone to accept performance-based pay and then force them to try and do it with those who will be a liability to their performance. You can't get good results when you are trying to work with those who won't (or can't) perform. And then what is your measure of "performance"? A state test? What you'll end up with is what we also have now as applies to state/Federal testing: teachers who "teach the test". The teacher only teaches what will apply directly to the state testing to appease the district, and to keep the heat off of them from the administration.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If it's so easy and such a care-free job by your anecdotes then why aren't you doing it? I'd like to know where these teachers are.... because every teacher in my family has had a second source of income for at least a majority of their career.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's so easy and such a care-free job by your anecdotes then why aren't you doing it? I'd like to know where these teachers are.... because every teacher in my family has had a second source of income for at least a majority of their career.
These teachers are in okc,mustang and yukon schools,and im not a teacher because my grandkids are the only kids I can stand to be around more than 30 min.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These teachers are in okc,mustang and yukon schools,and im not a teacher because my grandkids are the only kids I can stand to be around more than 30 min.

Think about that and get back to me when you talk about teacher pay/time off etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom