Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems clear to me the OPer said he wasnt trying to offend anyone, just posing a honest question that he knew nothing about.

Oh I am not offending at all. Some people might be. My point was if that someone does the job for a time they will see that there is a lot to it.

He is entitled to his opinion. I respect that.

I am entitled to mine as well.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had folks on the teacher course path in many of my undergrad classes. Most were in the bottom tier of academic prowess. Hated after exams in classes that were taught by the educator path folks advisors. They would lambast these slackers mercilessly for their test performance

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy of mine left the federal transfer center and went to teaching special needs kids. Went fro $75k to $36k. He did it because he was night shift and was missing too much of his children growing up. His class size is 4 students, ages 17-22 and all have either Autism, Downs or both. He coaches college sports is the summer and gets paid decent for it. He just taught his last year and is going to coaching full time because hes sick of baby sitting special needs (young adults and adults) for that little pay.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
55k at a public school in OK is laughable. My wife is a department head in her 12th year teaching and makes nearly 10k-20k less than the figures that you quoted...at one of the higher paying districts in central OK.

Like I said above, my wife quit after the 2015 school year to go back to school for another career; in the 10 years she taught, she received a whopping $3000 increase in her yearly salary. When misguided people try to get you to "vote a tax increase for education", shoot it the hell down - it will never, ever see the classroom. Ever. If there is ever a ballot measure that includes any other wording other than only "....for teacher pay increases", - shoot it down. It will be soaked up by the administrations, etc., before the teachers ever see one cent.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I am not offending at all. Some people might be. My point was if that someone does the job for a time they will see that there is a lot to it.

He is entitled to his opinion. I respect that.

I am entitled to mine as well.
I respect the heck out of teachers. It's something I dont have the knack for and I know they work their tails off.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I respect the heck out of teachers. It's something I dont have the knack for and I know they work their tails off.

Thank you for that. Sometimes it seems pretty thankless. Most don't do it for anything but the love of kids and the job. However, there are those who want the time off, and do as little as possible to keep the Job. It's sad.

Thanks again though. It's nice to hear from time to time.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for that. Sometimes it seems pretty thankless. Most don't do it for anything but the love of kids and the job. However, there are those who want the time off, and do as little as possible to keep the Job. It's sad.

Thanks again though. It's nice to hear from time to time.
When you get down about it, remember your shaping our future, doctors, engineers, scientist, etc. And we damn sure need them to be successful at it. And I consider that to be one of in no the most important job in our society.
So thank you and I wish you were compensated a lot more.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, teachers don't have it bad, they have a guaranteed job where they can be verbally abused, physically attacked and some have been raped trying to teach a student after school hours. And if that isn't bad enough, parents come into the picture and sometimes physically and verbally attack a teacher who is doing nothing more than to teach their child a little discipline and respect for others along with teaching.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you get down about it, remember your shaping our future, doctors, engineers, scientist, etc. And we damn sure need them to be successful at it. And I consider that to be one of in no the most important job in our society.
So thank you and I wish you were compensated a lot more.
I agree with you to a point, but the parents have the most important job in teaching their children to respect authority, teachers, police etc and many have been a dismal failure and send the kids to school and if the kid doesn't do well in school they blame the schools and the teachers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom