Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom, both aunts, and grandmother all taught for a living till they retired. They always enjoyed their jobs, but were not in it for the money. They talked me out of going into teaching.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems clear to me the OPer said he wasnt trying to offend anyone, just posing a honest question that he knew nothing about.

Someone's honestly willing to admit and do accept criticism of his opinion I think that we should have respect that even if we disagree with their position

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was growing up and in school my next door neighbor taught math for his whole career and in the seedier part of town towards the end. He loved teaching. His wife was one of the ladies in the front office at my high school. They were some of the nicest people you could ever be blessed with knowing. He tutored me a few times for free. He quit teaching because of the constant fear of physical altercation from his students with no recourse to defend himself. Bacjk then if a teacher hit a kid with a fist he'd find his career over and in a cell for a few years, no matter how justified. And this was quite a few years ago too. I can't even imagine it now.

But I'm the 1st one to say no to throwing more money into the educational system. Not because I don't want teachers paid well, quite the opposite. I saw that the state budget for education was 3.6 BILLION dollars which is about double the health services budget which happens to come in #2 in expenditures. I want to know where all that money is going. We don't have that many students. Hell we don't have that many residents. $3,600,000,000 is a lot of friggin money and I think it highly suspicious that we can't pay teachers better.

So why don't the teachers start demanding to know where it's all going? Why doesn't the teacher's union demand it? I'm 55 years old and have been hearing about this "problem" my entire life. Teachers even went on strike when I was in high school, but I can't remember what it was about. Truth be known I was more interested in chasing tight jeans anyway. I'm about to be ready to vote for Gary Richardson for one single reason. He wants to audit every state department. It's past time.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://sdeweb01.sde.ok.gov/OCAS_Reporting/
https://sdeweb01.sde.ok.gov/OCAS_Reporting/StateExpenditureDetails.aspx
When I was growing up and in school my next door neighbor taught math for his whole career and in the seedier part of town towards the end. He loved teaching. His wife was one of the ladies in the front office at my high school. They were some of the nicest people you could ever be blessed with knowing. He tutored me a few times for free. He quit teaching because of the constant fear of physical altercation from his students with no recourse to defend himself. Bacjk then if a teacher hit a kid with a fist he'd find his career over and in a cell for a few years, no matter how justified. And this was quite a few years ago too. I can't even imagine it now.

But I'm the 1st one to say no to throwing more money into the educational system. Not because I don't want teachers paid well, quite the opposite. I saw that the state budget for education was 3.6 BILLION dollars which is about double the health services budget which happens to come in #2 in expenditures. I want to know where all that money is going. We don't have that many students. Hell we don't have that many residents. $3,600,000,000 is a lot of friggin money and I think it highly suspicious that we can't pay teachers better.

So why don't the teachers start demanding to know where it's all going? Why doesn't the teacher's union demand it? I'm 55 years old and have been hearing about this "problem" my entire life. Teachers even went on strike when I was in high school, but I can't remember what it was about. Truth be known I was more interested in chasing tight jeans anyway. I'm about to be ready to vote for Gary Richardson for one single reason. He wants to audit every state department. It's past time.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From another post off-topic dicussing teacher salaries:

Do teachers have it so bad? I don't know. There your brat kids, what do you think?

Working 9 months out of the year, their salaries would translate to market levels if you add in the other 3 months they would be earning in another job that was 12 months per year. Maybe I "just don't get it" but every time there is extra money it seems to go to the teachers and the perk of having the summer off is overlooked. My aunt & uncle are retired teachers (one was a principle by the time he retired) and they lived better than I do looking back...they had a lake place in their early 30's, bass boats, 4wd, nicer house than I lived in by the time they were late 30's and that was with 2 kids...Now in retirement they live a dream at 2 separate lake homes...I do remember my uncle used to trade and do odd jobs for extra money sometimes in the summer when he'd go up to the lake place to fix it up and stuff, but that couldn't account for the majority of how they were able to live...all the other teachers I knew were females, married to a men who made more than them so they also lived well...is it really that economically bad for tenured teachers who are in their 30's & 40's & 50's these days?

Again, I'm not being cold but considering the other state employees haven't had a raise in like 10yrs or more and they work 12 months, I just hear about how bad teachers have it like I constantly hear about global warming...if all the noise is for the single, 22yo punks right outta college whining about not making a lot of money then they should have picked another field...if a married teacher who is say 40 is making 25k or something, well then of course I'd think they needed a good raise. I think my uncle was making close to 100k or so by himself when he retired from teaching more than 10yrs ago (maybe even closer to 15yrs)...add in the aunt's salary and of course the 9months thing and the pension plan that pays out every montht he rest of their lives and I'd say they didn't get such a bad deal/life...educate me if I am off-base.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When they start turning out top performing students I'll be for giving them raises, as long as the teachers union blocks performance based pay they can get 48th in the nation pay to match the 48th in the nation students they turn out

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0287.PNG

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they start turning out top performing students I'll be for giving them raises, as long as the teachers union blocks performance based pay they can get 48th in the nation pay to match the 48th in the nation students they turn out
Oklahoma does not have a teachers union.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one is indentured or enslaved to being a public school teacher. The salary information is public. If you are not satisfied with that then maybe you should consider a job selling shoes at Dillard's. This whole teacher salary crisis is a manufactured load of horse dung just like global warming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom