Do you think people on North East will start prepping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the current situation doesn't prove the need to prep, I don't know what will. For those with homes, it would have been easy to store and rotate 40 gallons of gas, keep 50-100 gallons of water and a month of canned food.

I doubt any of them did it, but after 9/11, how hard would it had been to start?

If they don't start prepping now, I have no sympathy for them in the future. Funny thing is FEMA isn't prepared to help so many in one location with the damage they have. How could anyone expect the government to be there?

It's time people look out for themselves in an event like this. On top of it all, crime is reported to now be in the rise as desperation is on the raise and hope turns to anger. New York limits your ability to protect yourself, isolated the people in the burrows due to flooded tunnels and crippled mass transit and then turns away relief. How can people stand by that attitude?

If people dont wake up now, it's their fault.

I can hear "Practical Preppers" now... "Although Atlantic storms are possible, history shows they are not a major threat to the eastern seaboard"

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In one of the news groups that I read, one person posted about it taking 4 hours to get 10 gal of gas. He said that he will start storing gas, especially when bad weather is forecast.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think most city dwellers dont really need to prep for hurricanes. They need to plan to evacuate. Snow storms and power outages they could have some preps to get by, water, food, heat source.

Imo, cities esp big ones have too many disadvantages when thinking about prepping or survival.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad lives in the FL armpit area. The local SO preps these folks with MRE's and bottled water PRIOR to possible events and then conducts public assist checks afterwards with resupply. Granted, the state of FL is much more experienced it these events, but if you cannot evac people and they must shelter-in-place this seems like a good practice. Personally, I think the effects were underestimated. Coastal areas in FL get mandatory evac orders.

One more great reason to stay out of urban areas.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can hear "Practical Preppers" now... "Although Atlantic storms are possible, history shows they are not a major threat to the eastern seaboard"

No kidding ... "History shows ..." is a small comfort when you have hungry, cold, wet, scared kids and no way to provide for them. That little "comforting" blurb at the end of every show used to drive me NUTS!

I think most city dwellers dont really need to prep for hurricanes. They need to plan to evacuate. Snow storms and power outages they could have some preps to get by, water, food, heat source.

Imo, cities esp big ones have too many disadvantages when thinking about prepping or survival.

Yep, especially the bolded parts.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They don't need to prep. They had the prez fly in for a photo shoot. Most of them are still tingly I bet. Help has got to be coming soon because he's so much better than Bush was.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand the need to evacuate a big city, however with so many in such a concentrated area, that might not me the initially best option. It might not be an option for many as personal transportation is a true luxury for many.

This is a great learning experience for us. A very different outcome from the south. Southerns were out rebuilding, cleaning and helping each other where as you see less of that up north and more people looking for someone else to help them.

Just keeping some gas on rotation along with food and water would be a start for anyone who doesn't currently prep.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I think most will not. They will look for someone to blame when they are not ready next time. They will also be expecting the Government to save them.
Nobody can be prepared for everything, but it is not hard to prep a few basic things that may help get you out of a bind.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I think most will not. They will look for someone to blame when they are not ready next time. They will also be expecting the Government to save them.
Nobody can be prepared for everything, but it is not hard to prep a few basic things that may help get you out of a bind.

I feel ya, but hope we are both wrong. I mean FEMA even says we should prep because they know they can't take care of us. The problem is people look at FEMA as the rescue agency instead of the suggestions agency which it is...

Latest posts

Top Bottom