Dollar General

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, they are what the little country store was only with worse employees.
That's because they work them (managers) 55 hours a week minimum,,,
And barely pay them $30K per year, with minimal benefits.

This is not a new situation but,,,
When a former acquaintance of mine complained about 65 hour weeks,,,
She was told to suck it up and take it because there were 10 eager people waiting to take her job.

Small retail management is the last gasp career for many people,,,
If you don't have any special skills but are willing to be worked like a dog,,,
They will provide you with just enough yearly income to get by along with a basic health package.

I was in that trap for a decade back through the 1980's,,,
Tandy Radio Shack, Tandy Leather, and others,,,
They all used the same business model.

One overworked and underpaid "Salaried Manager",,,
Who they could work up to 60 hours a week,,,
2-3 under 20 hour part-time people.

So if you do happen to shop there for whatever reason,,,
Please be understanding with the poor managers,,,
They are just people trying to live a life.

Aarond

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect this is the future of the retail store. We went from the country/neighborhood store, to chain stores, to big box stores. Now we seem to be going to on line shopping, and country/neighborhood stores like Dollar General, for the few things we buy on line? All in my lifetime!! We went to Maine a few years ago, neat place. From what I saw, they don't have any big box stores, shopping centers, chain hotels, etc. Of course I didn't see all of it, but they still have mom and pop country stores, with gas pumps, really neat Inn's, with restaurants, all types of small locally owned retail stores, in the down d town areas, everything like it was here 50/75 years ago!! I like it, and these people seem top be no worse off for doing things their way!!!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dollar General has employees?
They are that small group of homeless looking outside, smoking.

Wif will venture into DG, almost weekly. Being a small community and 30 miles from a population center, the DG can make a difference between doing without or not. This store has been here 20+ years. They built a new store and made it market, but the store is always junky, cluttered and dirty. The "emplyees" are a total waste.

Last year, Family/Dollar Tree built a store. If I have a need, I go there first. Clean, organized, friendly.

They have been great for rural communities, but many of their employees or severely lacking.

I would think having the possibility of employment would be somewhat of an incentive to perform, but evidently not.

The long hours, overworked, underpaid manager, is very true. Oldest son worked for DG, as manager, 20 years ago. At that time, the attitude was "if you don't like it, there are 100 waiting for your job." The last 3 managers here, were moved here from other locations. Locals don't want the job. They make more on Obammy money.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dollar stores.jpg

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because they work them (managers) 55 hours a week minimum,,,
And barely pay them $30K per year, with minimal benefits.

This is not a new situation but,,,
When a former acquaintance of mine complained about 65 hour weeks,,,
She was told to suck it up and take it because there were 10 eager people waiting to take her job.

Small retail management is the last gasp career for many people,,,
If you don't have any special skills but are willing to be worked like a dog,,,
They will provide you with just enough yearly income to get by along with a basic health package.

I was in that trap for a decade back through the 1980's,,,
Tandy Radio Shack, Tandy Leather, and others,,,
They all used the same business model.

One overworked and underpaid "Salaried Manager",,,
Who they could work up to 60 hours a week,,,
2-3 under 20 hour part-time people.

So if you do happen to shop there for whatever reason,,,
Please be understanding with the poor managers,,,
They are just people trying to live a life.

Aarond

You’re correct. And unfortunately that’s how little they pay a manager to run an entire store, just imagine what they pay their other employees. And they expect to get decent talent? Literally other than the manager who is an awesome guy, my wife, an old lady, and one younger guy there aren’t any quality workers. They just want to be on their phone or smoke for their $10/hr. I firmly believe the problem is they are a corporate giant (yes they’re huge) that has so many pointless filler positions whose tasks could be delegated to other people along with more money. But hey, I don’t run company 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Top Bottom