Don Carlton Honda "sick and tired" of "homeless" causing problems (Tulsa)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's not an easy answer here, but the problem doesn't go away by saying "git" "scram" or "go away".
You're right about that, lol.

And "even if they had cellphones/addresses/paperwork" - I bet you can't run fast enough to chase most of them down to give them a job.

I've worked around these urban campers for way too long to feel much sympathy for them. They cut our fence, break windows, steal stuff...just screw all that.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nowadays can't everyone get a free cell phone that is at or below poverty level? I can see the address being a problem, but you found a solution to it. And I'll bet there's way more assistance available now.

Kudos to you for working your way out of it.
Thank you. It was the pits living in a tent in the forest, having to relocate every two weeks (to keep from getting cited by the Ranger) and it took time but I eventually got-r-done. It's taken me years but I now have enough squirreled away to never (hopefully) end up in that situation again.

Yes, some things are easier than they use to be but the scarcity of availability and ever rising cost of affordable housing makes it much worse than it was. Too many people are now having to work multiple jobs just to pay the rent (forget about affording a mortgage), and even then it often comes down to a case of paying this months rent vs this month utilities vs food and household expendables (soap, laundry, T.P., etc.).

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, triage them. Find out if they are working now, or want to work. If they do or are, they get a bed, address, phone number etc. And a 6 month plan to get them somewhere to live on their own.

Second, mental illness/drug addiction. In patient treatment and confinement.

Don't want to work, like the lifestyle? Picked up and placed in the county shelter camp ground area located away from population and downwind from metro areas. Standing availability of bus ticket to west coast.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Affordable housing is an issue for sure. I can't believe how expensive things are.

Maybe it takes a roommate or two for a while. Most of us have done that at some point in our life. Doesn't Sec 8 base the rent on ability to pay?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with the answer "to work" is that employers require an address and phone # on their job applications and if a person does not have an address to call home, nor a way to be contacted . . . they don't get the job.
Been there myself once (company went bankrupt). Fortunately the area I was homeless in had a solution in place. The local Catholic Aid Society offered to let the homeless use their office address, and set up a phone plan specifically as a contact phone number.
Using these I was able to slowly climb my way out of being homelessness through a succession of ever higher paying jobs until I could once again afford a place to live.
Really because there is all kinds of help if you want it. especially around Tulsa.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. It was the pits living in a tent in the forest, having to relocate every two weeks (to keep from getting cited by the Ranger) and it took time but I eventually got-r-done. It's taken me years but I now have enough squirreled away to never (hopefully) end up in that situation again.

Yes, some things are easier than they use to be but the scarcity of availability and ever rising cost of affordable housing makes it much worse than it was. Too many people are now having to work multiple jobs just to pay the rent (forget about affording a mortgage), and even then it often comes down to a case of paying this months rent vs this month utilities vs food and household expendables (soap, laundry, T.P., etc.).

I recommend spending time with Leadership Tulsa and you'll see how many philanthropic programs there are out there in Tulsa for people down on their luck. It's eye opening and to be honest....... VERY few people have an excuse. If you want help, you'll get it in Tulsa.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right about that, lol.

And "even if they had cellphones/addresses/paperwork" - I bet you can't run fast enough to chase most of them down to give them a job.

I've worked around these urban campers for way too long to feel much sympathy for them. They cut our fence, break windows, steal stuff...just screw all that.
I don't believe that anyone is born with the attitude that "When I grow up, I want to be homeless".

My experience is that addiction or mental illness aside, pretty much all homeless people ended up on the street because of circumstances not always their fault (laid-off, gentrification, domestic violence, etc.) or because of wrongful decisions (debt, associations, etc.) and most that I met were eager to work their way out of homelessness, if possible. I almost never met anyone that wanted to live that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom