Don Carlton Honda "sick and tired" of "homeless" causing problems (Tulsa)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe that anyone is born with the attitude that "When I grow up, I want to be homeless".

My experience is that addiction or mental illness aside, pretty much all homeless people ended up on the street because of circumstances not always their fault (laid-off, gentrification, domestic violence, etc.) or because of wrongful decisions (debt, associations, etc.) and most that I met were eager to work their way out of homelessness, if possible. I almost never met anyone that wanted to live that way.
I doubt most drug addicts grow up saying "I want to be a drug addict". Makes zero difference to me - if someone's a threat to me, or my business, or especially to my wife - I don't even view them as human.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that anyone is born with the attitude that "When I grow up, I want to be homeless".

My experience is that addiction or mental illness aside, pretty much all homeless people ended up on the street because of circumstances not always their fault (laid-off, gentrification, domestic violence, etc.) or because of wrongful decisions (debt, associations, etc.) and most that I met were eager to work their way out of homelessness, if possible. I almost never met anyone that wanted to live that way.
Dont forget medical debt. That's a large driver IIRC and we're oddly the only developed country with that particular problem.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What really is quite horrible is the homeless have been politicized. It is a major issue and cities, states and the nation is suffering the worse for it.

The Right Claims the primary drivers are:
1) Mental Illness
2) Drugs
3) People that just fit in

The Left claims the primary drivers are:
1) Unemployment
2) Housing and Apartment Policies
3) Unaffordability of rent
4) Debt as mentioned above.

One thought, how much is illegal immigration driving this problem.

So, the left choses to put the homeless in hotels and are surprised when the place gets trashed. They want to put these people in the 'burbs in nice homes The left says let them stay and the taxpaying businesses, the main drivers of a cities economy suffer.

I would contend that the right is more than likely right about a majority of the causes. I am surprised that neither side has suggested housing them in abandoned properties like hotels, homes, apartments and working with them to help rehab those places. Give those homeless purpose and help to rehab blighted parts of the city. Give them a stake in their community and structure and perhaps improve blighted areas.

Perhaps I am just an idealistic dreamer.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Affordable housing is an issue for sure. I can't believe how expensive things are.

Maybe it takes a roommate or two for a while. Most of us have done that at some point in our life. Doesn't Sec 8 base the rent on ability to pay?
One of the requirements for getting a Section 8 Housing Voucher in Oklahoma is being able to pass a criminal background check. Pretty sure that this requirement screws a LOT out being able to use that program.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, triage them. Find out if they are working now, or want to work. If they do or are, they get a bed, address, phone number etc. And a 6 month plan to get them somewhere to live on their own.

Second, mental illness/drug addiction. In patient treatment and confinement.

Don't want to work, like the lifestyle? Picked up and placed in the county shelter camp ground area located away from population and downwind from metro areas. Standing availability of bus ticket to west coast.

I can't link the article because it's the Norman Transcript and you have to join, but Norman has a 0% adjusted displaced housing population. After triaging, they only counted those who didn't have, or need assistance as displaced. After making contact with all displaced persons, they found 3, yes THREE, that wanted or needed assistance. I know the guys who work OKC's Homeless Outreach Team, most decide either through addiction or mental illness, that they would prefer to be where they are. They don't want to go to a shelter because of the no drug policies, and they can make between 300-500 a day panhandling. One reason the population here has exploded is when COVID shutdown larger metro's, think NYC, LA, etc., they relocated here. Remember the pics of Times Square looking like a ghost town? Hard to panhandle when your city looks like the Zombie Apocalypse happened. So, they all relocated somewhere that didn't go on lock down, with decent weather and decent people, the central Midwest. The quote below is from a homeless person in Portland that gives you an idea of the mindset of some of the people on the streets.

One woman who identified herself only as "Paula" agreed to chat with the outlet, telling KOIN that she has lived on her spot along the shore "off and on about a year and a half."

"I have anxiety issues, and I think I have personality disorders, too, that I’m dealing with. I think that’s what’s kept me out here so long," Paula said, admitting that she has become addicted to meth since suffering a bad breakup.

"There’s a few shelters I like. They would have been great except for the no-drugs thing. That sucks. I don’t think drugs are my problem," she said. "I think my problem is I have no place to wash my hair and go to the bathroom."

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What really is quite horrible is the homeless have been politicized. It is a major issue and cities, states and the nation is suffering the worse for it.

1) Mental Illness
2) Drugs

1) Unemployment

So, the left choses to put the homeless in hotels and are surprised when the place gets trashed. They want to put these people in the 'burbs in nice homes The left says let them stay and the taxpaying businesses, the main drivers of a cities economy suffer.

I would contend that the right is more than likely right about a majority of the causes. I am surprised that neither side has suggested housing them in abandoned properties like hotels, homes, apartments and working with them to help rehab those places. Give those homeless purpose and help to rehab blighted parts of the city. Give them a stake in their community and structure and perhaps improve blighted areas.

Give them a stake in their community and structure . . . "

^^^ This.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

1) Mental Illness
2) Drugs

1) Unemployment

They do that themselves. Ask a fireman to explain how that's been working out.....

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke with an OCPD Capt. last week at a meeting. He said places like San Fran, Portland and Sea-Tac are handing out bus tickets to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, saying we are really generous and have lots of services for the homeless. He also said if you own a business and dont want them setting up a camp, you have to make them uncomfortable early. Dont let them hang out for a few hours to charge their phones, dont let them use the restrooms, dont let them spend the night, trespass them immediately and if they dont leave, call the cops. Word spreads quick in the homeless community of who is friendly to them and who isnt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom