DPMS 308 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevencmt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question to most, but I have never owned an AR based rifle. Is it just worthless to buy a sportical since it is missing the foward assit and deflector?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of the thousands of rounds I've fired through various AR's I have never had to use the forward assist. Several fellow gun nut buddy's of mine haven't ever had to either. Granted we mostly shoot on sunny days at the range, not in a jungle like my dad. A lot of AR-10's don't come with forward assists. Half of the DPMS 308's don't have one either. But I did see a new RRA AR-10 come with one. Personally I'd want one.. even though I'll probably never ever have to use it.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically if you are buying it for any purpose where it will be required to save your life, like a bug out or SHTF gun, then you might want it on there. Otherwise, you will never miss it. But what do I know.

Evan

Reaction score
If your using the forward assist, something else is wrong. REALLY dirty gun, out of spec ammo, or something else is causing the gun to not lock up. Unless you plan to be in (or are in) the middle of a firefight, I would suggest taking the 2-3 minutes and checking the rifle. Normal operation should not require a FA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom