DPMS 308 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have around that won't chamber because it is dirty, corroded, dented or whatever, why on earth would you want to go ahead and shove it into the chamber and pull the trigger where it might very well get stuck in the chamber and lock your gun up good? I would rather eject it and get it out of their and try another round. From what I have read a forward assist is not needed. But I'm not a combat veteran and do not drag my weapon through the mud either.

stevencmt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the question is would you save the money and buy one without it? I say that because you never know when your life is going to depend on a gun.

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah.

If I had to choose I'd get the AR-10 first, the RRA second, and the DPMS...last.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this hierarchy on?

I don't understand why everyone wants to blow their wad over the Armalite rifle. What does it do that the others can't/don't?

If you think the DPMS .308's are akin to the .223 guns they produce I'm here to tell you that they're not.

The RRA has been plagued with problems and nobody's making parts for it. RRA also has a proprietary upper that won't mate with anyone else's lower because it's too long.

The AR-10 gets name recognition, but who's making mags for it? Armalite - and they're expensive and have a less than solid reputation for being reliable mags.

The bottom line is that the DPMS rifle is becoming the industry standard and now POF and LWRC have piston uppers compatible with the DPMS lowers.

Everyone who makes an aftermarket quad rail system has a DPMS compatible version (except Larue, but he's making the OSR and DPMS compatible mags) - the inverse can not be said for the AR-10 (or the RRA rifle for that matter).

Magpul's new 308 PMAGS are going to be compatible with - You guessed it, the DPMS pattern lowers.

AFAIK, there are no plans for an AR-10 version.

So please, enlighten me on the greatness of the Armalite gun as I can't seem to understand what's so great about it...and also why you would consider the DPMS to be last amongst the three being discussed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom