Duck/Deer hunting, and I need friends :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if the subject line didn't make me sound pathetic....:thumbup3:

First off, I'm new to Oklahoma. Transferred here from California for work and already would never go back. Grew up in Texas and still regret the move to CA. Didn't have much of a hunting family, so for the last 10 years I've had to self-teach myself everything. Been mostly into upland/waterfowling and mulies - the only things to really hunt in CA. Been working for the Outdoor Channel for a while, so at least I'm immersed in the business...

Now living in the Tulsa area and looking for 3 things -

1. Without giving away "secrets," can anyone recommend from personal experience (I can google for facts) some good public lakes/locations for water fowling up here?

2. Again, without secrets, anyone know some good public land within an hour or so drive of Tulsa that'll produce some deer? (Again, I can google, but personal knowledge is better)

3. Don't really see a whole lot of personal networking going on here, but if there's anyone in the Tulsa area who would like to get together to hunt, hit the range, or shoot the $&^% over a few beers, please hit me up. I'm no beginner, just not a pro.

I'm a pretty decent shotgunner, not too shabby with a rifle, and rusty as all hell with a bow. OK's got a much shorter rifle season that CA, so I'm gonna have to invest in a new bow and start practicing again - been way too long.

So yes, this is my desperate plea for information and friends. Some guidance for a hunter who is currently way out of his element would be appreciated. Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, at least let me start out with some usable info.
For duck hunting, check into Kaw Lake in Kay County. Its about 2 hrs from Tulsa. They draw the lake down every summer and plant millet around the edges. The wildlife dept does a great job getting it ready for duck hunting. There is walk in access to hunt from the bank.

The only place I'm aware of an hour from Tulsa for deer hunting would the the public areas along the arkansas river, and around Keystone lake.
Go to wildlifedepartment.com. They have an interactive map that shows public hunting and fishing areas.

As you have stated, our gun season is 16 days long, but you can add another 9 if you have a muzzleloader, + there is a special holiday gun season between Christmas and new years for doe in certain counties.

Our bow season runs non-stop from Oct 1 to Jan 15. Typically during bow season on public ground you will be one of the few in the woods.

Now, since I was the first with usable information,:selfangel:selfangel
can we talk about that outdoor channel gig??:rubhands:

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I quit hunting about 6 years ago when I divorced and moved to tulsa. Didn't know anybody with land or advice so I was about to sell or saw off everything I had when a coworker suggested I go check out the Ft. Gibson wma. It's only a 40 minute drive, have no idea what you can actually get into out there as I've only been there 5 times for dove but at least I'll be out hunting instead of wishing I could go. Only problem is, I sold my bow. Now I've got to go get a new one, damn the luck.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are willing to drive, there is lake Eufala to the south of you. There is also a possible public hunting area around Skiatook. Your best bet is to join ducks unlimited in the Tulsa area, they can help you out. Claremore is a good waterfowl area.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
waiting for rifle. Wifey won't let me invest in a BP gun right now. Already blew too much on other toys :scream:

Although since I did find out that y'all have an open season on hogs, the rifle will get more use than I thought :)

Too bad I about the muzzle loader, another member and I are hunting this weekend together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom