Dutch Beaumont M1871-88 info wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for info on this Rifle...

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0168.jpg

From what I can tell, it is a Dutch Beaumont-vitali M1871-88. The date on the barrel is 1875, the butt-plate is stamped 1890. The cartouche on the stock has mostly been sanded away by whomever "refinshed" the it :( I've included pics of it, but all I can decipher is the "W" and can't read a date. There apears to be a second cartouche on the stock, but I don't know what it is or means.

The gun appears to have started life as an M1871 in 1875. I'm guessing it was converted to a "vitali" repeater in 1890...but I guess the bolt and receiver could have been changed before the stock...any thoughts?

From what I've found this it shoots a 11x52R metallic cased black powder loaded round...I've found some ammo for it on the net, but it was $80 for 20 rounds. I don't think this is going to be a "shooter"...

There are some cracks in the stock...should I be concerned about them?

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0160.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0161.jpg

Any other info you can tell me about the gun, or the hallmarks on it would be appreciated :)

I haven't yet decided if I want to keep it or part with it...any ideas on possible value?

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0171.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0172.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_medium_DSC_01821.jpg

Cartouche (or what's left of it!)

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0186.jpg

Possible second cartouche:

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0189.jpg

I really like the design of the rear sight from an aesthetic point of view:

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0170.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0178.jpg

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention where the rifle came from...

My father (45+ years ago) when he was a kid purchased the Rifle (with a little help from his Father) through the NRA for somewhere under or around $10...He had saved his allowance money to buy it...He was fairly young, so just really wanted to order a rifle, any rifle because his father had ordered some :) Well...he got it (I should ask him what he did with it...if he was allowed to handle it or what...)...he never shot it and it has sat in one Family gun safe or another for the last 45+ years!

Today, when I was giving him back some of the Family guns I had borrowed he gave it to me! He told me to figure out what it was, and said it did not have any sentimental value and I could do with it as I liked. He encouraged me to sell it...but I'm sorta fond of the story behind it. However, I have to agree with him that it would be "better served" as money towards a youth rifle for my Son or towards the 1st "real" rifle I am looking to buy than to sit in the gun safe for another 45 years... (yes, I'm 30 and don't own a rifle besides this one!...I've been a "hand-gun guy")

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://militaryrifles.com/ has information on black powder military rifles. It looks like its had an arsenal repair to the stock around the reciever - with low power loads its likely ok, and all it should have is low power loads.

Thanks rmark, That is a good site...actually where I started looking...until I started reading, I'd never heard of a "Beaumont" before...

...has anybody else ever had, heard of, or know anything about this old gun?

Can anybody tell what type of wood the stock is?

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question: Considering the age, and what it shoots how would this rifle be considered from a legal standpoint? Could this be sold across state lines without involving a FFL transfer?

Latest posts

Top Bottom