Dutch Beaumont M1871-88 info wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question: Considering the age, and what it shoots how would this rifle be considered from a legal standpoint? Could this be sold across state lines without involving a FFL transfer?

any gun pre 1898 is considered an antique and can be sent to a persons front door if you so wish to sell it that way. All you need is a copy of their DL for proof of age

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo is pretty hard to get, but the worst part is that the clips are near IMPOSSIBLE to get, and it doesn't work without a clip.

What's the verdict on this? I've been reading around and can't find anything about 4 round clips for the Vitali box magazine.

Having a clip wouldn't make it a "single shot" though, I certainly don't consider the M1 Garand a single shot!

Thanks for the compliments Idp4570 and Dr. Tad...Definitely a "classy looking lady". :)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's the verdict on this? I've been reading around and can't find anything about 4 round clips for the Vitali box magazine.

Having a clip wouldn't make it a "single shot" though, I certainly don't consider the M1 Garand a single shot!

Thanks for the compliments Idp4570 and Dr. Tad...Definitely a "classy looking lady". :)

If it was mine, I would be looking around for ammo, cause I like nothing better than shooting those old guns. Even if its just one or two shots every so often, they just have a charm all unto themselves.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't shoot it very much with that stock cracked like that. ER visits are getting expensive. Might pick up one box of ammo, shoot it once or twice just to say you did, then hang it up somewhere.

Otherwise, have a new stock made for it and invest in reloading dies. If you can find any.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was mine, I would be looking around for ammo, cause I like nothing better than shooting those old guns. Even if its just one or two shots every so often, they just have a charm all unto themselves.

I hear you. I wish I had done my research on what it shot BEFORE I went to the gunshow last weekend! I might have found something. I'm still trying to figure out if the Vitali box magazine needs a clip though...

...and yes, Danny if I do shoot it, it will only be 1 or 2 shots...that crack in the stock spooks me!

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
candyman on the surplusrifleforum could fix that stock, maybe honeybee on here too

Cool.

Any idea on approximate value? I have decided to sell/trade and am planning on putting up a classifieds add and maybe seeing what some of the local stores would offer in trade for it, but don't know what a reasonable "starting price" would be.

...and does it need a "clip"?

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it needs a clip. According to Rifles of the World by John Walter, conversion to the Italian Vitali magazine started in 1888 and involved adding a bolt mounted ejector and cutting away part of the feedway to accept a case containing 4 rounds. The magazine follower was propelled by a coil spring around a guide rod, giving the magazine its dinstictive shape. The line drawing in the book looks like you just feed the rounds from the top, being careful to keep the rims in the right order.

Latest posts

Top Bottom