Edited first post because I have permission to share now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm back at work as of last Tuesday but only did 3 days then I'm back today again for 2 days before the Holiday. I was off work like 3.5 months! Holy hell I was naive in thinking I would bounce back quick. The day I went to the hospital for tests, I was down to 160#. Those of you that met me in the past know that I was a big guy at 6'-1" and I was around 230# so I basically looked like a POW in a concentration camp. My life expectancy was being measured in hours that day. Thank Jesus I finally found this ER Dr. who actually cared and he dug in and found the problem. I've lost a lot of faith in a lot of Dr.s but I digress.
I've now returned to 200 #. When I went in the hospital I had no appetite, nausea and I'd gag and throw up if I tried to force myself to swallow anything solid. After 2 days post surgery or whenever it was they gave me actual solid food, I ate everything on the tray like I was starving (which I was). That was the best hospital food ever! or at least it seemed at the time. After returning home I had my appetite back with a vengeance and I was eating everything in site. I think the dog was nervous lol
As I gained pounds and muscle back I slowly began tapering off to only 3 meals a day where as before I was probably eating 7 times a day and 5000 calories lol. My strength in my legs is still down some because apparently they cut some nerves that go to my feet and both of them are numb but also hurt when I walk and balancing is a challenge also. I haven't been walking to exercise like I need to because of that. I'm doing as much exercise as possible though and last night I finally hit 100 on pushups. Although they were elevated pushups because Its too hard to get on the ground all the way and back up but I did them against the kitchen counter at as flat an angle as I can stretch out.
So I'm walking like an 85 yo man but I'm getting my bulk and tone back on my arms, chest and back. And the big belly I had before is still gone! lol.
This has been a very, very scary ordeal and completely humbling. Its made me change the way I think and act. And it has made me a stronger believer in the power of prayer and God and I so greatly appreciate all the prayers and support I have received here. Thank you all, sincerely.
I was already a strong believer in God and Jesus Christ but I wasnt sure he was going to let go of me as I felt he was calling me home. I had already conceded that I was going to die and 2 days before I went to the hospital, I called mom and dad to come get me and take me to their house to stay because for 1, I could no longer walk, and 2, I didnt want to die alone in my house.

Some positive news, I saw the surgeon last week and a "takedown reversal" procedure IS an option after all but not at least for 3 more months. Its another nasty surgery to get into the pelvic area for reconnecting my "iliam" (google it and google ileostomy - thats what I had done). And as a bonus, the Dr. said both my navel hernia and my appendix are gone! lol But I'm sick of this bag and its really hindering my private time with the new woman I'm so lucky to have. She said it doesnt bother her but it bothers me. lol
@steelfingers and @Annie I think I can pretty easily hold that 8" barreled .44 mag with one hand now so game on...:blush:
You got it buddy

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear your on the mend Clay. Really good to hear your family is mending as well.
I'm sure it's been a terrible time in your life, but you had support from family and others. You have a lot of years ahead of you. Take care of yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom