Effing skunk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So did you get lucky or not ? :rotflmao:

He!! No.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think we r going to survive. We got the carpet shampooed and have sent the dogs to the groomer (because wife wasn't satisfied with my dog cleaning skills, but I thought I did pretty good job considering). We have left doors and windows open all day too so it really isn't that bad right now. However I think my wife still wants to wash all the walls. :violin:

Jb

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This happened to us as well about a month ago.

Bake coffee on a cookie sheet with the oven door open.

Boil water, vinagar, apples and cinnimon and then spread the bowls of that stuff around the house. The steam will penetrate the walls and help with the smell. And it does in fact help.

It's a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone except most politicians.

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, we had a similar experience with some getting under our house and then spraying. I was not pleased. I used to trap a lot and so I am used to dealing with them on the trap line, but under the house is just ridiculous. I trap as many as I can to keep them thinned out around our place.

By the way if you have them in a live trap and walk you walk up to them with a blanket or something like that between you and them and then gently drape the blanket over the trap, THEY WON'T SPRAY. I know that sounds like I am setting you up for getting sprayed, but I have done it more times than I can count and I have never had one spray. Then you carry them out somewhere away from the house and wish them well, after you shoot them of course.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. My dog got spray a couple of months ago and then got in the house. It sucked for a while. The baking soda and vinegar thing worked pretty darned good on him, but it took a few days to clear the house.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best remedy if you get hit my a skunk is taking a quart of hydrogen peroxide with a quarter cup of baking soda with a tablespoon of dish soap. Mix and use immediately.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He!! No.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think we r going to survive. We got the carpet shampooed and have sent the dogs to the groomer (because wife wasn't satisfied with my dog cleaning skills, but I thought I did pretty good job considering). We have left doors and windows open all day too so it really isn't that bad right now. However I think my wife still wants to wash all the walls. :violin:

Jb

I commend you on seeking professional help on the cleaning. With a wife and small child myself, I know when to throw in the towel. This would have been one time.

If any furniture has an odor, a good enzyme cleaner will help (I like Bissel's Pawsitively Clean line best so far). If you cant find that, the Woolite or Resolve spray with active oxygen (a.k.a. OXYClean, or just OXY) works pretty good too.

Wash any an all hanging fabric (i.e. bed skirts, curtains).

Perhaps it's a time to paint any rooms that needed it? I always found nothing freshens up a house better, even if it just a room or too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom