El Cheapo Home Defense Handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus has a 40 dollar rebate on the m85 snub 38 revolvers. Picked one up for 200 with shipping and transfer, and will get 40$ visa card in the mail. New revolver, lifetime warrenty, and idiot proof for new gun owners (no mechanical safety, or jamming to worfy about.) If he needs more than 5 rounds than he has bigger problems than can be helped. Then go to walmart or academy and get a 20$ safe to keep it out of kiddos hands.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi-Points have a really stiff slide spring because of the blowback design, so little kids shouldn't be able to work it. I keep loaded mags in both of mine, but not one in the chamber, nor do I leave it cocked.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap and defending yourself don't belong in the same discussion. Is your life or the lives of your family only worth the price of a high point? and trust me I have seen too many highpoints fail to ever consider one

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap and defending yourself don't belong in the same discussion. Is your life or the lives of your family only worth the price of a high point?
That's a great philosophy if you can afford it. Unfortunately, some folks cannot.

I'd much rather have one of my Hi-Points than nothing. :drunk2:

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, yes, but my friend and his wife are still paying off his med bills from a stomach surgery and their son has some sort of condition which creates more bills. They live on the crummy side of town and bike ride to work for a reason lol.

You could argue I should kick in some more bucks, but we both work at Walmart and I have my own bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Hi-Point. They're ugly, and they're not a 50k round gun, but for something that's largely going to sit in a drawer, they're plenty reliable.

I'd skip the Jiminez.

This may be a dumb question, but is the .45 version any less reliable than the 9mm one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Jennings (same as Jimenez) JA22 .22 and it wouldn't ever run a full mag, total crap, my buddy has a hi-point .380 he got for $100 for a truck gun and it runs whatever you put in it and it is pretty accurate. Yes they are big and clunky and ugly but they will get the job done. I would say hi-point all the way, I also have heard good things about the sccy pistols and the are $250 ish new and it's a double stack 10 round. I don't have any experience with them

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hipoint cm380 is a good pistol, but if bought new there is some work involved getting the gun reliable. Mainly cleaning the coating off the feed ramp and making sure the mag lips are proper dimensions. There is more that can be done but not necessary. If you can find one used they are generally around $100. I found one for $70, Academy has them at 150+ tax

Latest posts

Top Bottom