Elk hunting and rifles from an Oklahoma perspective.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree about the .280. I've taken lots of game with that cartridge. I only replaced it because I could get a 7mm-08 in a lighter, short action rifle. It's a favorite, just behind the .358 Win. I do feel a .243 is not a good elk gun. Granted, you can't overkill an Elk but there would be too many times I would pass up a shot with a .243 that I wouldn't with my 7mm-08 or .358 Win.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My well used .280 is probably what I'll end up taking to NM......it feels good and the bullet goes where I want it to.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that shot with any rifle. I'm a hunter, not a sniper.

not even if you were as sure of that shot as you are as sure of and 100 yard shot? I don't look to shoot deer over 450y but I will try and blast a coyote at just about any range just to see if I can, I am no Carlos Hathcock but I used to have a colt mt6700 that I shot crows with out to 300y with on a regular basis with iron sights.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. I'm not unfamiliar with long range shooting - did some in an Army career (sometimes at people.) I will occasionally shoot long range - at targets. But, I would never take that shot at game. I respect the animals too much and sniping takes the fun out of it for me. I have passed on 35yd shots in the timber. Not because I wasn't certain of the shot. I just wanted to let that one go.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm torn on shots like that. I've seen a lot video of hunters taking 400, 500, 600+ yard shots and hit exactly where they intended but even if you are an amazing marksman with the best equipment and have the skill to consistently make those long rang shots on targets I still don't think it's right on an animal. Slight changes in wind at that distance could move the bullet inches or feet and you can't read that wind. I was watching some show where they showed a school that taught long distance shooting for target shooters and hunters. They used smoke grenades to show how much the wind changes in between the shooter and the target and how it's impossible to read it. The instructors said they teach students to shoot at 500-600 yards so that 200-300 yard shots are easier for them. The one instructor said "We teach these shooters to shoot at extreme distances not so they will be able to shoot animals at that distance but to show them why they shouldn't" (referencing how it's impossible to read the wind at that distance well enough to justify shooting an animal).

I don't know, but I will say the distances that I used to consider ethical for hunting are a lot longer than I used to think (for those skilled enough, not for me) so I'm not so quick to judge something unethical anymore.

coorsman_ok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer to use a 100gr rage broad head while I'm on the ground and the bull is 10yds away screaming at me. :)
If it's after rut and the bulls aren't coming to calls I use my encore in .338WM. My hunting buddy has taken all of his elk with a .270 and never had a problem. Shot placement is everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom