Eminent Domain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What do you experts on OSA know about eminent domain? They been planning a road upgrade project that borders me for a while now . Well the project is supposed to start end of this month and the dipsticks just now contacted me by mail yesterday bout my interest. It says I need to contact them immediately because they are gonna take some property and I need to sign this and that etc.

Why the last second contact?

Anyways they want me to meet with the county commish to "settle" but they made sure I got a letter stating they will take it anyhow by law. blah blah

So-

Any of you ever gone thru this? Do you have any advice? I'm ok with the project, I just want to know if they are supposed to pay for fence.
I reckon I can demand it or take them to court?

I really hope you don't see me on the news standing in front of a bulldozer with my pea-shooter:punch:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contact some of the farmers and ranchers that have had land seized for the keystone pipeline.
There are several families in OK and TX fighting to keep their land intact in contiguous parcel instead of having to drive around the pipeline to get to their own property.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this an extension of the Bar-S Highway Network?

(I can't really help you because the only eminent domain stuff I'm read up on is eminent domain abuses, like forcing certain areas to become "blighted" by limiting city services or not issuing required permits, or seizing property for a private party who can generate more tax revenue than the current occupants, etc.)

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They are just widening the road that is there now. It was a county road but its a state road because it has a public school on it. They just want to push a fence over and shave some land off me. I just need to talk with the commish, Im sure he will take care of it right. I was hoping others might have experienced it on here and could give advice on what is acceptable to ask for like the fence.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what they're saying right now, but wait until the landing strip goes in and those 747's plopping down all night keep you awake.

I agree, go talk to the commissioner. You might get a new fence some new sod out of them.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine owns some land in the Lexington area and when the state widened the hwy she got $15,000 but I don't know how much frontage was involved.
I'll try to ask her Monday.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to the commish?? LOL!! Sorry. Hate to tell you but your commish is going to do EVERYTHING in his power to take your land without paying you a dime. We have been fighting Beckham County for 6 years now over them pushing a road thru the middle of our property without and notice or compensation. These people are snakes.
The road they pushed thru our place even went thru our yard then right thru the middle of our holding pens for cattle, ripped out our gates and everything.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to the commish?? LOL!! Sorry. Hate to tell you but your commish is going to do EVERYTHING in his power to take your land without paying you a dime. We have been fighting Beckham County for 6 years now over them pushing a road thru the middle of our property without and notice or compensation. These people are snakes.
The road they pushed thru our place even went thru our yard then right thru the middle of our holding pens for cattle, ripped out our gates and everything.

If that's the whole story, there's a lot of lawyers who might want to help you.

Of course, if it's not... (like, perhaps where the road was pushed being section line right of way)

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a section line that ended half way down the section. The road had never been opened since statehood and was mever marked even on any maps. The section line ends in the river with no way to cross the river. Reason for opening the section was to give access to 1 person to be able to reach the river.

The section had been closed and gated for more than 80 years, what was the section line had been farmed all of this time, as well as cattle pens that had been in place for this entire time.
I could go into all the legal crap about what they were supposed to do and what not but the fact is they will do what they want. We finally sort of won one law suit and the county was found liable for wrong doing and now it is going up to the State supreme court.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbor lost 15 feet of her yard in a widening project. She didn't get any money for the property, but they did do a real nice job making it look nice for her. They installed a real nice new fence and even landscapes it. I wouldn't say she really came out good on the deal, but at least they didn't leave it a mess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom