Eminent Domain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Keystone Pipeline?
It terminates in Cushing, why would Texas farmers have land being seized? Why would they have to drive around it? Maybe for a short time during the construction phase. And I'm pretty sure no one's land is being seized. Pipe line damage compensation is usually pretty generous. I do understand there are some people that would rather not have a pipeline on them, but, a lot are happy to have the money. Sometimes it means the difference between keeping and losing land. Once the pipe line is in, everything pretty much goes back to the way it was on farm land. On pasture the pipe line leaves a mark, but no worse than plowing would. Sorry OP, that was off topic.

Really?
Read this:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...land_use_OK_under/20120824_49_e3_cutlin237141

Farmers can't drive heavy equipment over the pipeline so they end up having to drive around it on the nearest road instead of their own property.

And remember this:
TransCanada is not a US company. It is a foreign company seizing the private land of American land owners and tax payers.
That's my gripe about it.

I get the feeling that some members on this forum would be OK with it even if they wore blue helmets that said UN on the side, as long as the oil flows.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bow to those who knew it went farther south . But nothing I read said farm equipment can be driven across it.

I would like to see the route "a few hundred yards farther south". If its like a lot of caprock country, that can make a real difference.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And remember this:
TransCanada is not a US company. It is a foreign company seizing the private land of American land owners and tax payers.
At least the Canadians are polite. It does say condemn the land. But it also says they will follow all state and federal laws . Which I assume means it will be buried exactly like every other pipeline, so their lands should only be impassable during the construction phase, and the norm I've seen is that crossovers are either completed right at the start or right at the end. Allowing "blue helmets for oil" is almost a ludicrous as saying we're trading blood for oil .

No more comments here from me, we hijack the OP's thread with an "I hate big oil" thread.
I for one apologize for that .

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No more comments here from me, we hijack the OP's thread with an "I hate big oil" thread.
I for one apologize for that .
I don't hate Big Oil.
I hate fuzzy furreigners taking American's land by force so they can transport their foreign oil to refineries on the gulf coast and sell and ship to China.

John Wayne must be rolling over in his grave.

I'm out too.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is along section road and i do own the mineral rights. Im out of town right now but next week i will meet with them and report back here.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't hate Big Oil.
I hate fuzzy furreigners taking American's land by force so they can transport their foreign oil to refineries on the gulf coast and sell and ship to China.

John Wayne must be rolling over in his grave.

I'm out too.

John Wayne as well as most patriots have been spinning in their graves over things like political correctness and multi-culturalism that has been destroying the nation

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Update-

First, they need about a quarter acre temporary easement for equipment etc to work on making small bride for a few months along the road. So I signed a paper to donate some land for them for temporary use.

Second, apparently my fence was inside the 80 foot state hwy(which is maintained by county and called county road). They wanted me to move it back at first but I said no that they can just bulldoze it cause its about done for anyhow. I aint tearing my own damn fence so they can take more land. I lose a few feet in for a quarter mile no matter what I say and they said I own the land/water/mineral all the way to the middle of the road.

I did get them to agree to pay for labor of new fence I have to put in later. Not sure I got a good deal or not but I really have no choice. All I heard him say was they are trying to get the road done and have to use money from other projects to do this so they cant afford much anything.

I am not a lawyer and did not stay at the holiday inn express, so I likely got hosed while being made feel I was being the difficult one.
But it's done and now time to move on to other things I need to be doing.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family is going through a similar scenario except we are dealing with oil and gas lines going in on our property. Devon is the company, we received the same type of letter, basically threatening you saying there gonna do what they please. We held out for several months, once they increased the $\acre we allowed them to enter. As far as fencing, it all depends on how you get the contract wrote up. It's critical to have it in the contract, otherwise good luck getting them to do something they "said" they would do. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom