Enfield MK1???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anybody still selling 303 British rifles for cheap? The one I used to deer hunt with that my Dad bought 10 years ago was like $69 and more recently I saw them advertised for $130ish. But it seems as though those days may be gone? Anybody know what is considered a fair price on one these days and where you run accross them most often?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Enfields are not that cheap, but you can get them for $200ish, and there are some chambered for .308 floating around. If I was looking for one to hunt with, I would hold out for one with the .308 barrel.

However, you can take the same $200-$300 to the gunshow tomorrow and pick up a commercial deer rifle that is lighter, more modern, much prettier. If you plan to shoot the rifle much, .303 in hunting loads is expensive, and the surplus stuff is getting harder to find, plus a lot of it has suffered from poor storage conditions.

Additionally, the Enfield action cocks on closing. I detest that.

Today I saw several older Savages for under $300. Also, you can even do barrel changes yourself on these if you have even minor mechanical skills.

The only cheap surplus rifles right now are the Mosin Nagant 91-30 Russians in 7.62x54R. Rearsenaled, and buyable for around $100. Lots of good (but corrosive) surplus ammo around, kicks like SOB, expensive hunting ammo, and as long as a freightcar with a problem safety. But cheap. And tack driving accurate. CB

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt anymore, I just fish and kill paper. I'd be shooting at Military Bolt Action shoots and just for fun on my own. It's really more nostalgic than anything - I liked the one Dad and I used to shoot.

I have heard that the 303 is pretty expensive these days but again I woiuldn't be shooting this rifle on a daily basis.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt anymore, I just fish and kill paper. I'd be shooting at Military Bolt Action shoots and just for fun on my own. It's really more nostalgic than anything - I liked the one Dad and I used to shoot.

I have heard that the 303 is pretty expensive these days but again I woiuldn't be shooting this rifle on a daily basis.

I wish I could find one of those shoots here in east Okla.:gun1:

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could find one of those shoots here in east Okla.:gun1:

The range I joined recently(TCGC) has them on occasion, I happened to be there for one when I attended range orientation and I was intrigued immediately, but I don't own a bolt action rifle. When I thought about what I might like to have I almost immediately remembered the 303 I shot when I was a kid. But it turns out that like all the other mil surp rifles they aren't cheap anymore and they are tougher to find.

I'll keep my eyes open and I'll find one one of these days, I was just hoping someone knew of a wholesaler that might still be peddling them inexpensively.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
XD-9Guy I have 2 Russian Mosin Nagants.You can buy one for less than
a $100 bucks.Ammo is cheap & match a .30.06 in power with its 7.62x54 cartrige.If you ever watched
the movie "Enemy at the gate" thats the rifle the Russian sipper used.

Fun gun to shoot & collect.[Broken External Image]

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...Enfields...I'm going to have to dig mine out of the safe for a change of pace at the range.

I imagine what you are looking for is actually a No.1 MKIII SMLE, or maybe a No.4 MKI or MKII. You might try local pawn shops for these, as they are fairly common and were imported in abundance. The .308 Enfields are actually Indian rifles (the 2A and 2A1) built at the Ishaphore Armory starting in the 60s to equip their rear echelon elements and other non-front line personnel such as police. They are not just simple conversions; they were designed to handle the .308 cartridge and use different parts than the .303 rifles.

The Mosin Nagants are neat rifles and fun to shoot, but I'm not a big fan of beating the bolt open with a 2x4. :D

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...Enfields...I'm going to have to dig mine out of the safe for a change of pace at the range.

I imagine what you are looking for is actually a No.1 MKIII SMLE, or maybe a No.4 MKI or MKII. You might try local pawn shops for these, as they are fairly common and were imported in abundance. The .308 Enfields are actually Indian rifles (the 2A and 2A1) built at the Ishaphore Armory starting in the 60s to equip their rear echelon elements and other non-front line personnel such as police. They are not just simple conversions; they were designed to handle the .308 cartridge and use different parts than the .303 rifles.

The Mosin Nagants are neat rifles and fun to shoot, but I'm not a big fan of beating the bolt open with a 2x4. :D

Sounds like you may know a thing or two about Enfields - since you brought it up. I do now know what Dad's was and what I'd like to have, it was a No. 4 MK1, it looked just like this one.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/enfield_rifles.html

I love the idea of one that shoots .308 because it would be easier to come by ammo but I sure like the looks of the No.4 MK1 a whole lot better.

I have been hitting the pawn shops but no one has any old rifles so far. All I have seen is crap shotguns, and over priced lever action rifles. So if anybody knows of a Pawn shop with a decent selection... I would appreciate it if you would point me that direction.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know just enough to be dangerous, my first rifle was a 1917 RSAF Enfield No1 MKIII*.

You might give Best Pawn in Stillwater a call (405-624-2274); they always used to have all sorts of milsurps including various Enfields. I haven't been in there in quite some time however.

Latest posts

Top Bottom