Ever been bit by a horse ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My horse used to try that low branch thing with me but I taught him not to do that anymore. I had a riding crop that I kept on my saddler and when he headed for a low branch I would whip that thing out and wack him between the ears and that stopped that crap quick. When out for a ride as soon as I turned back to head home, he wanted to turn into a race horse. I had a thin rope looped around his nose and mouth and up his bridle and when he wanted to run and I didnt want him to I yanked the hell out of that rope and that brought him to a halt faster than the reins. After I taught him those few lessons he bacame a good ride. I always brought treats along with me and when he quit trying to fight me and trying to turn home again, I would stop and give him a few treats. He soon learned that the longer the ride the better the treats. I also found out if I brought my other horse along he didnt want to head back to the barn. He missed his pal and wanted to go back. They both became excellent trail horses after a year or two and were very sure footed. I hated getting rid of them but we were moving back to town and could not take them. .

I always liked a bridle with extra long reins.
Worded better than a riding crop. After a couple good whacks, I would only touch them between the ears.
Started to the rodeo, one night. Had my cousin riding behind me. A group was riding, a couple blocks over. My horse kept trying to turn and got to them.
I was whelping him with the long, leather reins and he was totally ignoring me.
After 6-7 whacks, my cousin leans forward, "you ain't hit this damn horse, yet!"

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My horse used to try that low branch thing with me but I taught him not to do that anymore. I had a riding crop that I kept on my saddler and when he headed for a low branch I would whip that thing out and wack him between the ears and that stopped that crap quick. When out for a ride as soon as I turned back to head home, he wanted to turn into a race horse. I had a thin rope looped around his nose and mouth and up his bridle and when he wanted to run and I didnt want him to I yanked the hell out of that rope and that brought him to a halt faster than the reins. After I taught him those few lessons he bacame a good ride. I always brought treats along with me and when he quit trying to fight me and trying to turn home again, I would stop and give him a few treats. He soon learned that the longer the ride the better the treats. I also found out if I brought my other horse along he didnt want to head back to the barn. He missed his pal and wanted to go back. They both became excellent trail horses after a year or two and were very sure footed. I hated getting rid of them but we were moving back to town and could not take them. .
Going back to the barn is called barn sower! Horses like kids try things to see what they can get away with, it it works once, it's a bad habbit!

Latest posts

Top Bottom