Ever been bit by a horse ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle had several horses that me and my cousins would ride and a couple of them were ornery cusses. They would bite alright. I used to think my cousins were mean for punching a couple of horses in the nose until my first bite - I learned real quick that a stiff nose punch would stop bad behavior. They also would find a tree with a low branch that they would scrape you off their back with - after the first time you learned to recognize why they would be ambling toward the trees. Been stepped on a few times too (luckily the ground was soft/mushy/muddy most of the time). I remember on Lonesome Dove that Woodrow got bitten real bad on the back early on in the series before they left Texas on the cattle drive.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was around age 11, I used to steal a ride on the neighbor's horse and one time it kicked me in the leg and spun me around on a barb wire fence, tore my new shirt up which I was so proud of and I still today at 78 carry the scars from that fence. I was lucky the horse didn't break my leg and I never messed with that horse again!
I still have the scars of going through a 6 wire fence trying to run faster than the bull behind me. He didn't take kindly to me shooting his scrotum with a BB gun. :anyone:

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have the scars of going through a 6 wire fence trying to run faster than the bull behind me. He didn't take kindly to me shooting his scrotum with a BB gun. :anyone:
Bulls are no joke. I worked with a guy who got pushed through the side of a barn by a bull when he was 16. His face was all kind of dished-in looking from a profile view (almost like the man in the moon drawings) and from the front his face looked flat and wide. He told me he lay there for four hours before the farmer found him and called an ambulance. He was pretty messed up and had to have several operations on his back and rib cage (which was also caved in). He was about forty or so when I met him and was a pretty big old boy - drove a lift truck.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle had several horses that me and my cousins would ride and a couple of them were ornery cusses. They would bite alright. I used to think my cousins were mean for punching a couple of horses in the nose until my first bite - I learned real quick that a stiff nose punch would stop bad behavior. They also would find a tree with a low branch that they would scrape you off their back with - after the first time you learned to recognize why they would be ambling toward the trees. Been stepped on a few times too (luckily the ground was soft/mushy/muddy most of the time). I remember on Lonesome Dove that Woodrow got bitten real bad on the back early on in the series before they left Texas on the cattle drive.
Horses, are kinda like kids, you first have to get their attention, before you can teach them anything! That is why we have so many spoiled BRATS today, in fact we have such a prosperous nation most of our POOR people are SPOILED BRATS! IS THAT AMMAZING OR WHAT? Homeless laying around on the streets wallowing in self pity, and BEGGING, and at the very same time many, many, business can't find people that wnat to work!

Waynard

New to the site!
Reaction score
Horses, are kinda like kids, you first have to get their attention, before you can teach them anything! That is why we have so many spoiled BRATS today, in fact we have such a prosperous nation most of our POOR people are SPOILED BRATS! IS THAT AMMAZING OR WHAT? Homeless laying around on the streets wallowing in self pity, and BEGGING, and at the very same time many, many, business can't find people that wnat to work!
My horse used to try that low branch thing with me but I taught him not to do that anymore. I had a riding crop that I kept on my saddler and when he headed for a low branch I would whip that thing out and wack him between the ears and that stopped that crap quick. When out for a ride as soon as I turned back to head home, he wanted to turn into a race horse. I had a thin rope looped around his nose and mouth and up his bridle and when he wanted to run and I didnt want him to I yanked the hell out of that rope and that brought him to a halt faster than the reins. After I taught him those few lessons he bacame a good ride. I always brought treats along with me and when he quit trying to fight me and trying to turn home again, I would stop and give him a few treats. He soon learned that the longer the ride the better the treats. I also found out if I brought my other horse along he didnt want to head back to the barn. He missed his pal and wanted to go back. They both became excellent trail horses after a year or two and were very sure footed. I hated getting rid of them but we were moving back to town and could not take them. .

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My horse used to try that low branch thing with me but I taught him not to do that anymore. I had a riding crop that I kept on my saddler and when he headed for a low branch I would whip that thing out and wack him between the ears and that stopped that crap quick. When out for a ride as soon as I turned back to head home, he wanted to turn into a race horse. I had a thin rope looped around his nose and mouth and up his bridle and when he wanted to run and I didnt want him to I yanked the hell out of that rope and that brought him to a halt faster than the reins. After I taught him those few lessons he bacame a good ride. I always brought treats along with me and when he quit trying to fight me and trying to turn home again, I would stop and give him a few treats. He soon learned that the longer the ride the better the treats. I also found out if I brought my other horse along he didnt want to head back to the barn. He missed his pal and wanted to go back. They both became excellent trail horses after a year or two and were very sure footed. I hated getting rid of them but we were moving back to town and could not take them. .
That deserves a 🙂 for the horse part, and a ☹️ For the moving back to town part!

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always had animals while I was growing up, horses, cows, donkeys, goats, chickens, etc., bit, stomped, kicked, clothes lined, etc.
Neighbor has a horse and some donkeys that I let share my pasture on a rotation, good to have a couple of asses around just so I'm not the only one...
1653018598560.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom