Ever had a game warden approach you in the field? How did it go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All of my experiences were on dove hunts with at least 1 of my boys each of the 3 times.

The last time we were hunting a field north of Tulsa and 2 GW were checking a few people at the exit of the field. I had 3 boys with me and only 2 were really big enough to shoot, so I brought 3 guns, all plugged and legal!
As we were about to leave I thought I would let my littlest one swing the 20ga a few times to see if he could get a bird. Well he got about 3 birds after about 15 rounds of 20ga ammo and had a good time and was ready to go. I threw the birds in back of my vest and proceded to walk out. Wierd, they checked my boys dove count but not mine, then all the guns. Got to the truck and had 3 birds too many!

1st time a GW approached me I was on one of Gordies hunts i think, with 2 of my boys in the middle of a field, he came out of nowhere, toting a VERY short 870 and wearing a tan vest. No ID, no hat, no badge, no embroideried emblems anywhere and asks me if i have my ID, hunt license and hip permit, I stated I did and kept looking for birds and shooting. He then asked if my guns were legal and I then asked him if he had any ID. He showed it to me and we stopped shooting and let him look everything over. He was a Federal Game Warden.

All went well on these 2 occasions and several others that I've had. How about you guys.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saddle bum reminded me of when I got checked near Mangum. I was quail hunting and the GW walked up on us and informed us he had been watching us with his spotting scope. He wanted to buy one of my German Shorthairs! Never did check us(we were legal).

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this one time I was in Redridge, and one of the big spiders up there was stuck between the fence and the ranger station. I tried to kill it, but he just kept evading. So I told the game warden and they fixed the issue. . . Wait, this isn't about gaming is it?

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
opening day of muzzle loader deer season last year, my brothers-in-laws and I were at the farm shootng some rifles and handguns. In the middle of our section of land. GW rolls in in his pick up and says he is just checking on things because he checked a couple of hunters and they reported a lot of shooting south of them. We were a mile south of them. Been hunting, shooting and fishing around those parts(SW of Buffalo) for dang near 20 years and that was the first time I had ever had one approach. Of course he walked into a party of 3 ccw carriers who all spouted off at the same time that we had permits and had them on us. Good vistit with him and I still have his card in my wallet in case we need to call him out on trespassers.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Twice:

Once up north near the Kansas border pheasant hunting. Short and sweet..."how you boys doing today" "license please" "glad to see you wearing your orange, have a nice day". We even offered to have one of our party who was way out in the field come in to be checked and he said "Nope, no need".

Another time at Fort Cobb after a duck hunt. Warden treated us like criminals the entire time...Check licenses, all good. Check all five shotguns for plugs, all good. Checked shells in all shotguns for lead, all good. Physically patted me down for birds, none. Continued to pat us all down for additional shells and check them all, followed by rifling through dry boxes and the backs of our trucks for additional shells and birds. Never so much as a "have a nice day" when it was over. Never went back to Cobb after that.

There was a third, but we had called him because we saw a guy open up on a flock of turkeys out of season (during dove). He sped in from two counties away and showed up in a Ghillie suit....he didn't catch the guy with a bird but I know he opened up on 'em.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just once. Dove hunting some leased fields. Met us at the truck to check for licenses and HIP permits, then told us a cut corn field a little ways away had lots of birds. Well, I've had contact with a couple while fishing, too. Here and in Missouri. Maybe one of them asked to see my license, the others just talked fishing.

Not likely to ever see one where I deer hunt unless we invite him.

Game wardens are our friends. I wish we had several more per county.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
been checked many times hunting dove. once while pheasant hunting and one guy was not legal - got a ticket but could avoid paying fine if he send in proof of license within a day or two.

got checked dove hunting last year and guy next to me had an unplugged gun. warden walked off with gun - that is all i know. my experience is that they are usually pretty good guys. i try to be respectful and let them do their jobs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom