Ever had a game warden approach you in the field? How did it go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only, and I mean the only time I encountered a game ranger was when I was a kid.

Back in High School my buddy had just got a bramd new jeep-cj. Soooo, one Friday night,
we load it down with a six pack of beer on ice and a bottle of M.D.20/20. Pick up two
lovely ladies and head out for the woods.
Locked in 4-wheel drive, we head out to a "woodsy" area to party with our little ladies.
About 30 minutes into the party, the night lit up like it was daylight and a red light was
flashing. Then we heard on a speaker....put you hands up over your head.
We thought it was a sheriff's deputy and threw all of our drinks way into the woods.

The game ranger drove up.and thought he'd caught some poachers. Well we were poaching
Just not animals. He left, and we had to search for our lost drinks...
Let me tell you...the fastest way to spoil a young man's romantic evening is to have the
game ranger spoil it!!!

Cohiba

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never met a game warden in the field who wasn't polite and courteous. Same holds true for any other LEO I've encountered. I know there are exceptions. I've just never had a poor experience with one. I've received citations, but I've always deserved them. I guess I'm just lucky. But I always make it a point to be polite and courteous first.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only 3 times in all my years hunting and fishing. Twice for fishing. Once at the conclusion of a dove hunt. Kinda sad considering how often I am in the woods or on the water.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been checked several times. Most were great encounters.

The only one that was just slightly agitating was whenI was dove hunting and got checked in the field on private land about 1/2 mile from his truck and the gate. He walked up we chatted and after several groups of dove came by I decided to speed up the conversation politely and just asked if he needed to see my license and HIP. (with a wise a$$ smile) He said well I was just going to check your plug, but since you asked about it yeah why don't you dig them out for me. I did and all was good.

He then said he would like to check the plugs of the other hunters and asked where to find them. I kindly gave him directions to both which one was west 1/4 mile the other was north 1/4 mile (did I mention he was parked 1/2 mile south of us and its early sept in western OK). Well seems I forgot to mention one was using a double barrel and the other a single shot.

But I can say that I have enjoyed most of my encounters with Game Wardens and greatly appreciate the job they do.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i was a kid still at home drove pickup down road 1/2 mile west of home. saw a squirrel cross the road . parked in barditch.went through gate onto dads property, standing there looking up it trees for squirrel,here come GW says he was setting on hill watching & saw covey of quail fly across the road when when i was driving down the road,he then tells me i am hunting quail out of season with a 410. i am standing there with a bolt action 22 across my chest with the muzzle up at about 45o. he reaches out grabs the muzzle of the gun jerks it overto his face to look at the bore, he says well its a 22 , we will have to write uo for tresspassing, he followed me back to the house so my dad could tell him he owned the property, this was the first GW i ever saw

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
when i was a kid still at home drove pickup down road 1/2 mile west of home. saw a squirrel cross the road . parked in barditch.went through gate onto dads property, standing there looking up it trees for squirrel,here come GW says he was setting on hill watching & saw covey of quail fly across the road when when i was driving down the road,he then tells me i am hunting quail out of season with a 410. i am standing there with a bolt action 22 across my chest with the muzzle up at about 45o. he reaches out grabs the muzzle of the gun jerks it overto his face to look at the bore, he says well its a 22 , we will have to write uo for tresspassing, he followed me back to the house so my dad could tell him he owned the property, this was the first GW i ever saw

:loser:

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I've had an encounter with one in the field I was 16, My Uncle leases a large patch of land of the CoE's for cattle, it is also public hunting land. I was out on my 4-wheeler, I see a truck I have never seen before about a 1/2 mile out in the pasture, I drive right up to them to find out who it is/what they are doing. Well they didn't like that I was on a atv, with a loaded .22 across my lap, went to grilling me about why I was on the land, I tell them I'm checking the cows and looking for deer sign, he asks where is my hunting license I tell him I have a lifetime combo at home, so he asks why I have the rifle and not my liscense, I had to fight every fiber of my young smart ass being not to tell him I dont need a hunting liscense to shoot a coyote around our cows, but I didnt and after a good scolding he gave me my rifle back and starts asking about where he can get across the creek, I tell him and all is good.

Well I finished up my business and rode to my Uncle's house, and told him about the wardens and them giving me a hard time out there, heres his response "I ever see them suckers out there and they talk to me like that, they'll see how quick an ass chewing can get turned around" You just have to know him, I laughed my ass off.

I'm never worried about running into wardens in the field, I have heard some horror stories, but from my personal expirence and most people you talk to they are good people just trying to do they're job.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been checked several times, and all expierences were fine and courteous.

Except one, if you can call it a check. I had shot a deer in my BIL's land in Logan County. I was driving to Arcadia to check it in. As I pull into the check station, a GW pulls up and starts yelling at me for speeding on some dirt roads. I told him in short order that there were no posted speed limits and I was not going too fast, as I drive them several times a week during deer season.

He then looks in my bed and starts yelling...asking where my tag was (he was YELLING....several others were shaking there heads at this incident). I explained to him in about the same tone that I had a lifetime lisence and showed him my harvest info attatched to the deer's leg and that I had to get the tag from the check station.

He moved away quickly at that point.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom