Ever had a game warden approach you in the field? How did it go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of times,

I had just turned 18 and a co worker invited to go dove hunting. I'd never hunted before. Borrowed a 20ga from him and away we went. Warden showed up and checked me, I was all legal, then said it's good thing your a lousy shot. Apparently then last few birds he'd seen me shoot at were not dove. He sat there for over an hour and helped me learn to id dove's in flight and even gave me some pointers on shooting. By the time he left I was dropping birds. He's one of the reasons I still hunt and that I'm teaching my daughter.

Other time, some wacko bird watcher called in on me and my daughter, It was her first duck hunt (16 mos old) and I had taken her out to Overholster Lake in OKC. I guess the bird watcher didnt know we were sitting about 50yards in front of him and was quiet pissed when the greenhead he was watching suddenly blew up as he flared over my deaks. Daughter learned a few new cuss words from him and the ranger informed him that he could get cited for inferring with a hunt. He was still jumping around flagging ducks when he arrived...... Warden was super nice, and gave my daughter a camo hat...

Fog

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to attend the same church as the game warden for my area. He was always friendly with me. But have heard others say he was an a--h---. But knowing they wouldn't buy a license if they could get buy with it, I'm not surprised they badmouthed him the way they did. My only experience with actually meeting one in the field was in Wyoming during an antelope/deer hunt back in the late 90's. He was friendly enough and helpful. Talked hunting with us at our camp for about an hour and left.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been checked once with my dad while duck hunting at Lake Texoma. Two GWs came up to us in a fan boat. We were both in our own pirogue. Checked our 30 minute worth of ducks shot. Checked our Oklahoma licenses and gun plugs. We were only about 50 yards from the Texas line on the Oklahoma side. We had confirmed our position with our GPS well before shooting time. They said we were good to go and started to make their way back to the fan boat. Being smart butts, we decided to ask them if we were on the Texas side or the Oklahoma side. They both shot back around and one pulled a GPS out of his waders. A couple minutes went by as well as a nice flock of redheads visiting LT that year. The one with the GPS shot a look to the other GW then smiled and said, "You boys are huntin' on the Texas side, if you don't have a Texas license we will have to cut this trip a little short." My dad and I just smiled at each other and shook our heads because now they are ready to hang us for hunting legally in OK but claiming we are in Texas. Instead of correcting the GW, we simply pulled out our Texas creds for duck whackin. He quickly glanced at them kind of pissed off and then turned around and they got in the fan boat and left. Of all the GWs I have chatted with these two have been the only pinheads.

STWshooter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been checked bunches over the years.... mainly in dove and deer season.

Never had an issue of any kind.

+1 here. Approaches with his weapon holstered but unsnapped, asks respectfully to put weapons down, says he's been watching at a distance for a while, checks for legals, then asks if we want any coffee. Never any problems and I appreciate the accountability.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never... always hunting on Indian reservation lands.
state of Ok rules doesn't apply until you get back in public roads.

only Indian police and Feds has jurisdiction on Indian lands.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been checked by feds and state, the feds acted like we were criminals, searched the boat and everywhere for anything illegal. Most encounters have been positive.

Tully

Marksman
Reaction score
In 1969 I was working for a land exploration company in Wyoming. We had a drilling company drilling sample holes out in the middle of no where. I had a rented 4 wheel drive to get to the drilling site and to locate the next drilling site that was flagged by surveyors. Since we were out in the sticks I always carried a cooler in the back loaded with drinks and food. One day while driving across open fields looking for the next site a GW pulled up. I was very surprised since he was the first human I'd seen out there all day. Asked if I was hunting. I said no. Asked if he could check my cooler. I wasn't sure why he asked but said yes. After a quick look he told me some would kill elk and dress out in the field and put in a cooler. Long time ago but as I remember he was a nice guy just doing his job.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
only once, we were hunting up near fort supply on the last day of our hunt. We were all bow hunting and my buddy was on his way back to the truck when he ran across what all of us including the GW could call a White/muly mix??? It had white tail head gear but everything else looked muly, black tail and all. Anyways me and two others made it back to the truck and he was there waiting. He asked if we got anything today, we told him no to us but our buddy was dragging "something" out. He didnt check our papers, but wanted to see this "something" that was getting dragged out. Once he looked it over he checked my buddies tags, shot the **** with us for a bit said have a good day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom