Fake security camears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I wanted to get some opinions....I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, that still has a lot of new construction going on...well, in the last couple of days, a house a few streets over from mine was broke into in the middle of the day, they busted a back window, knowing that it wouldn't trip the alarm due to the lack of window breaks. Well, this has me worried a lil, my wife and I are at work during the day. I have an alarm system with a few options, but no outside cameras....a lil pricey and out of my budget for now. I thought about placing a few fake security cameras around the outside of the house just to deter any onlookers.....think this is a waste of time and money? Any of you guys use them?

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check with your alarm company about a real one. My brother in law has ADT and they put in a camera that he can watch from his phone. Most security places have those. IF you DIY a couple cameras and a DVR shouldnt set you back more than a couple hundred. Fake ones might be ok but criminals are dumb and probably wouldnt notice them anyways. Stickers on every door and window are a good idea.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your budget is, but amazon still has some cameras cycling through it's cyber monday specials. There is one that goes on sale at 5:50 pm. It's a swann 4 camera special and is currently $176, so i'm guessing it will be below that. I don't know if it requires any other equipment or not.

I'm guessing that fake cameras would help keep some people honest, but if they are willing to wear masks then real or fake, it might not be a deterrent. Plus, if you put them up and then get robbed, you likely are going to kick yourself for not having just installed real ones to record the whole thing.

kevin brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been watching the news lately ive seen a few stories showing theaves breaking into houses and or stealing stuff from the front doors of homes with cameras and it did not seem to stop them at all. It may help you and the Police indentify who broke onto your home.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I figure a real camera will just alow me to watch my house get robbed. I use deterants such as beware of dog signs, fake cameras, ADT stickers on the doors...to name a few. I also have 2 GSDs roaming the property freely. They wouldnt harm a fly but they look big and look like gaurd dogs. So far, so good. There are all sorts or deterants that are cheap and easy. Google it and you will find some kool ideas.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do security for a living and if you ask any one in the business its a bad idea because it gives the end user a false sense of security.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problem with fake security cameras is they look fake. Any criminal with a scant ounce of brain knows the difference too.

When is the last time you saw a 'real' camera with a blinking light?

If you're spending the money, just buy real ones that are usable. You can buy a decent kit for less than $500 that even grandma can install.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 cameras and 4 channel, 500Gb DVR was under 160 on amazon. Network enabled so I can view at home or remotely with some DDNS setup on the home computer. This brand even has a phone app.

For that price, I wasn't spending the money on fakes.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4 cameras and 4 channel, 500Gb DVR was under 160 on amazon. Network enabled so I can view at home or remotely with some DDNS setup on the home computer. This brand even has a phone app.

For that price, I wasn't spending the money on fakes.

Can you post a link for this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom