Fallin Says 10 Commandments Will Stay Regardless of Courts Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I would like to know is how is government promoting religion by having a historic monument up? I haven't heard that the government is mandating obedience to it on anyone even though several of the commandents are actually codified into statutes. And nobody has a problem with those do they? Satanic monuments and all the others have no place in Oklahoma history so they got no standing to be there IMO. And isn't it ironic that the atheists are offended by something they do NOT believe in? Hmm.....

Well said.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, first, we don't live in a Christian nation in the sense of anything 'official'. Also, does oklahoma have an official state religion?

Second, you can be offended about the monument AND still be right about it being illegal and a violation of the law. Just because someone is or isn't offended doesn't change the fact that a monument to one religion has been placed on state property.

You can be against the ten commandments monument for other reasons than being offended by them as a Christian-specific symbol.

Also, the 'christians police each other' is a best a stretch, but would likely take another thread to flesh out and would likely result in feelings of persecution by some.

Actually the 10 Commandments are not "Christian", they are "Judaic".

They were later adopted by Christianity and Agnostics and a few other sub sets of religion.

It is quite possible that even Islam observes part of them as they observe part of Judaism. Though getting them to admit such is probably like pulling hen's teeth.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for her. She's doing what she can in an environment where high judges are making rulings that go against the will of the majority of the people. Probably won't last long, but I appreciate the gesture.

The judges of any court are not there do the will of the people. They are there to see that the laws of the people are interpreted according to they way they are written by the people's representative in the legislative branch.,ie the house and senate. The executive branch ie the governor has NO dog in the hunt with any power. She just happens to be a nosy b**** that thinks she can do what ever she wants. This needs a vote of the people to change the constitution. That is how a democracy works.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we should have allowed the satanic monument to be placed on the grounds. Sometimes the best way to win the fight is give your opponent no next move.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I would like to know is how is government promoting religion by having a historic monument up? I haven't heard that the government is mandating obedience to it on anyone even though several of the commandents are actually codified into statutes. And nobody has a problem with those do they? Satanic monuments and all the others have no place in Oklahoma history so they got no standing to be there IMO. And isn't it ironic that the atheists are offended by something they do NOT believe in? Hmm.....

You calling this a historical monument is a load of shite. They tried to sell that while putting it up and nobody bought it then either. Then you go on to say no other monuments (IYO) belong there. So you think no other religions have any place in Oklahoma, how telling. I would argue the Satanic monument has more relevance than any other. There's certainly a lot of evil in our state, and our government in particular.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other two branches already acted.......they wrote/approved the legislation allowing the monument and then tried to defend it in court. the judicial branch said they were wrong.....but we need to give them time to act? I call ********.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The judges of any court are not there do the will of the people. They are there to see that the laws of the people are interpreted according to they way they are written by the people's representative in the legislative branch

If only this were reality. . .but, unfortunately, it isn't. Which is why I'm not opposed to Fallin's actions (and I'm far from a Fallin fan-boy).

It requires more imagination than I have to make the argument that this monument *establishes* a religion.

It is, however, a slippery precedent. On the flip side, why is it fine for liberal states/cities to routinely ignore court rulings but not okay for conservatives to do the same? We're getting screwed in the courts. . .so my long-standing support of Judicial review is slipping.

Heck, at the Federal level (I honestly don't know if the State constitution has it spelled out) the Courts don't even have the *authority* to call a law unconstitutional.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You calling this a historical monument is a load of shite. They tried to sell that while putting it up and nobody bought it then either. Then you go on to say no other monuments (IYO) belong there. So you think no other religions have any place in Oklahoma, how telling. I would argue the Satanic monument has more relevance than any other. There's certainly a lot of evil in our state, and our government in particular.

My ENTIRE point went right over your head. It's not about religion at all. The placement of this monument is not promoting, suggesting, mandating or any other term you might want to use that people have to believe a damn thing. It's about history whether you like it or not (or anybody else). The fact that "nobody bought it before" doesn't change reality. I'm not really sure how the suit even got before the Supreme Court in the first place unless they were just being PC, and that's not what the SC is for. IMO the 7 impeachments are justified because they didn't follow legal norms in reaching their decision. They just pulled it out of their a$$ or used precedence that somebody else pulled out of their a$$. I'm no fan of Contrary Mary but she got this one right. I don't base this on my religious beliefs either, it's strictly coming from a legal mindset.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are bits of our history based on parts of the Ten Commandments. But only parts, like the 6th, 7th, and 8th. Saying the others are historic is moronic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom