Famous, or infamous, things your parents said.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad's reaction to a news report about how a City crackdown on junky and overgrown properties was causing "disproportionate hardship" to poor and underprivileged residents: "Ain't nobody so poor they can't pick up their yard."

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
When I joined the service my Dad said "keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Volunteer for nothing".
Regarding inheritance: "you never see an armored car following a hearse"
Regarding dining in the NYC area: "never order a cocktail at a Chinese restaurant or coffee at an Italian restaurant".

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I joined the service my Dad said "keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Volunteer for nothing".
Regarding inheritance: "you never see an armored car following a hearse"
Regarding dining in the NYC area: "never order a cocktail at a Chinese restaurant or coffee at an Italian restaurant".
Bad advice Chinese restaurants make killer drinks and Italians make the best coffee.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“This one’s made of iron and this one’s made of steel. If the left one don’t get you the right one will.” - grandpa L.C. Said it to all of us kids.

“If I tell you a mouse can pull and freight train, you better hook it up” - step dad. said it to my brother allll the time.

“Good enough is accepting something, good is achieving something” - can’t remember his name, H.S. art teacher. And probably something that stuck with me the most from high school.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Bad advice Chinese restaurants make killer drinks and Italians make the best coffee.
So you were in the NYC area in the '50s & '60s and have a personal experience then? I didn't say it was good advise but the thread was about Famous, or infamous, things your parents said...

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before my first marriage my grandfather

“Boy you may think it’s good enough to eat but later you’ll wish you ate it”. Well he was right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom