Felons and Handguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an important subject to me.
Not proud of it but I have a brother as well as friends I grew up with that I dont associate with much any more because theyre felons. Due to his talent at his legitimate job skills- auto body/custom painting,building bikes and hotrods- my brother is always doing better than me financially. But he associates with a group of people I choose not to be around. So I just dont go around him when home in California. Friends I have here in Oklahoma who I know to be felons I dont associate with any more either. We cant visit if I'm carrying and I'm usually always carrying. And in my work,the music business and tattooing,its hard to find people who are 'clean' any more these days without some kind of felony who I can or want to be around. Sucks.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is an important subject to me.
Not proud of it but I have a brother as well as friends I grew up with that I dont associate with much any more because theyre felons. Due to his talent at his legitimate job skills- auto body/custom painting,building bikes and hotrods- my brother is always doing better than me financially. But he associates with a group of people I choose not to be around. So I just dont go around him when home in California. Friends I have here in Oklahoma who I know to be felons I dont associate with any more either. We cant visit if I'm carrying and I'm usually always carrying. And in my work,the music business and tattooing,its hard to find people who are 'clean' any more these days without some kind of felony who I can or want to be around. Sucks.
I'm in the same boat with a daughter and a felon for a son in law.My wife and I babysit for them every day.They are in and out of the house all the time.IF we could get us one of those exceptions it sure would be convienent.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing why.I thought the law was supposed to apply equally to everyone.:anyone:

Because they were married before the conviction and the spouse's job requires carrying a firearm.

They were required to dispose of all privately owned firearms and the only firearms that can be present are the government-issued ones.

So before we start playing the "cops play by a different set of rules" card, you too can get get rid of all your personally owned firearms, get hired by a police department, and your felon son-in-law can come and go to his heart's content.

Sound good?

Michael Brown

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
must be a state thing.

I know a convicted felon (in GA and CO ---larceny) who is in posession. Last PPO filed against him ...he admited possession, and was told to store his guns offsite until the Order ran it's term .

This individual has had contact with officers several times over the years about his pistols. The Bay County SO and Michigan State Police refused to investigate. To the best of my knowlege this individual has never been pardoned or expunged.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Because they were married before the conviction and the spouse's job requires carrying a firearm.

They were required to dispose of all privately owned firearms and the only firearms that can be present are the government-issued ones.

So before we start playing the "cops play by a different set of rules" card, you too can get get rid of all your personally owned firearms, get hired by a police department, and your felon son-in-law can come and go to his heart's content.

Sound good?

Michael Brown
so in other words I was right,there are 2 different sets of rules and I can become a cop and take advantage of those.Thanks for ansering my question.:)

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so in other words I was right,there are 2 different sets of rules and I can become a cop and take advantage of those.Thanks for ansering my question.:)

You will like many of the other sets of rules as well i.e. forfeiting your fifth amendment rights in many cases, having to provide the serial numbers to all your personally owned firearms, etc.

Good luck with your application!

Michael Brown

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratski
OK, I know that a convicted felon can't buy a firearm, but what about living in a household that has a firearm?

No

Quote:
At what point does it become an enforceable violation of the law or parole?

As soon as your PO finds out

Quote:
Can a wife claim that the firearms in the house are hers and that cover the situation?

No
In addition to the correct answers above: #1 If the felon was placed under supervision coming from a correctional center, a home verification was done prior to release to include telling those that he was going to live with that he can no longer live in a residence with firearms. #2 When he reported to the pp office within 24 hours of his release he was given a set of rules in writing which included no firearms. #3 If he is telling you any different, this is one of your many clues as to why he is a felon. There should be no reason that the question needed to be asked, the felon on probation knows what he can do and what he can't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom