Feral Pigs - A Road Hazard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Down here in Altus we have to be very careful on the County roads at night because of the deer. Now, Wild (Feral) Pigs are becoming a real hazard on the roads. Anyone else experiencing the same problem in their area? (Too bad you can't shoot from the road) ....

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen several of them killed on the road around here lately. Deer are beginning to become a hazard here as well. I had a doe run out in front of me by the college here. With the dramatic proliferation of wild and feral hogs look for road hazards to continue to worsen.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I saw a show on National Geographic channel about the Feral hogs in Georgia I think it was, they are a huge problem and getting worse. If I remember right, they destroy some crops, kill other animals and have been known to attack people. I don't know if I got all that right, but they are multiply at a very fast rate and are bad news.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a show on National Geographic channel about the Feral hogs in Georgia I think it was, they are a huge problem and getting worse. If I remember right, they destroy some crops, kill other animals and have been known to attack people. I don't know if I got all that right, but they are multiply at a very fast rate and are bad news.

thats pretty much right. a half a dozen of them can wreck a hay meadow in a single night. i have heard of them going straight down a corn row and eating every kernal before it comes up. they will eat almost anything alive or dead. any kind of crop, and pretty much any animal they can catch from tukey eggs and baby turkeys to baby deer. and they have the temperment of a mama grizzly.

people unfamiliar with them usually cant fathom how destructive or how dangerous they can be.

all that being said, in certain parts of the country they have lived with them for hundreds of years. and they still farm, still have turkeys and still have deer.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My buddy and I are going out next Wednesday (weather permitting) to 'dust off' our .50 BMG's ..... He has 400 Acres just north of here .... Maybe we will 'get lucky' .... ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the deer problem on the road, but so far, no hogs in our immediate area. 30 miles from here, there are some, but so far, not around our house of the roads we travel.

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was down in south Texas last week and there were dead(roadkill) pigs everywhere, atleast one every 2 miles or so from Brady TX until I got north of I20. Also, we were working for Halliburton along the Mexican border during the summer, and most of the ranches down that way have atleast 8 foot tall fences to keep the deer in, so there were hardly any deer in the road, but somehow there were still quite a few hogs running around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom