Finally watched "True Grit"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah, John Wayne always played the same guy in his movies - himself, but...what's wrong with that? :ugh2:

His character was always as large as life on the screen. He played a hero we could all play as kids and our parents didn't hate us for it. He stood for the American way and he did it without cussing like sailor and killing folks for no good reason. This generation could take notes on Duke and learn by his example. When you watched a JW movie, you knew what to expect.

John Wayne made over 160 films in his 50 year career. Name one other actor that even comes close. Out of all those movies he won only ONE Oscar and that was for his portrayal of Deputy Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn.

True Grit (1969) is not only my favorite western but my very favorite movie of all time. To say that Duke played himself in it is a true fallacy. He actually got into character for this role. I reckon that's why he won the Oscar. Hollywood is filled with as many naysayers as you guys who think he was a pitiful actor.

We need more John Waynes today. The world would be a better place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom