"Firearms are like potato chips" - really?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting comments so far from both sides of the aisle.

But why did this thread get moved to the Handguns forum?? :anyone:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only guns I have that could be considered the same would be my collection of Glock 17's. I have all four generations and may one day get the "Fish Gill" model. Haven't decided on that one yet. It is tugging at me since they don't make them anymore.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting comments so far from both sides of the aisle.

But why did this thread get moved to the Handguns forum?? :anyone:
i279.photobucket.com_albums_kk136_AlabamaJack_042609a004.jpg

mach1soldier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still want more...So yeah I would think they are addicting. I would have hundreds if I could afford them. Most of the ones serve a purpose except my garand. Really want to sell it but all my family says i'll regret it....Currently I treat it like an investment instead of a tool or toy.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I often see comments on here along the lines of these:

"If you buy one [this make/model of firearm], get ready to own more."

"You can't stop at just one."

"They're addictive."

I wonder just how common this sentiment is. I know I've owned multiple examples of a single firearm, but I've had no trouble selling off the excess or even getting rid of them all and sleeping well that night. Do you folks really have trouble paring down your collections if you don't need the funds? Or do you not have any problems with your collections getting so large you forget what's in the back of the safe(s)?

Just curious.

OK, so your version of the addition took the path of diversity. Cool! Your still addicted if you have more than one firearm! :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone sort of goes through phases (that's what we say in the knife world anyway). They're different for everyone, but they typically go like this:

Phase 1 - Newb (a lot of folks get screwed over or pay too much for their first handgun or rifle... or buy the wrong one, or buy something that wasn't quite what they wanted, but looked/sounded pretty cool).

Phase 2 - Collector/hoarder (it's like pokemon with guns - got to have them all / or you get way into certain specific guns, but again - quantity over quality and while you do acquire a lot of knowledge - you still buy cheaper versions of what you really want in a lot of cases to build up "the hoard")

Phase 3 - Learning/Getting really into one area of guns (most folks either get into Milsurp, building an AR, learning the ins/outs of AKs, 1911s, etc...). You typically sell a lot of the cheaper guns/accessories at this point to get more specific brands/models/production-years/variants/etc.

Phase 4 - Fun/Practical/Real-Collector (you have now become pretty knowledgeable about your favorite areas of guns and are humbled when entering into new areas as you know there is actually much to learn and spouting off with little bits of half-knowledge is no longer as cool as you once thought it was). This is the phase that a lot of the old-timers on this board are in (or have been in for a while). It's a good place to be - you actually shoot your guns... you take a class or two in pistols/carbines/rifles/shotguns.

In this phase, you get rid of some of the fancier guns in your safe that you're too afraid to use (or you just say F!#@ it and drag them out and use them). You get that fancy rifle out and drag it through the brush to hunt with it (or shoot it... in the rain/snow and figure out that duck-tape will actually fix something that your $70 accessory just failed at doing), or you take that $1200 Sig Blackwater Tactical and put 800rds through it without cleaning it to see if it will fail (it did not btw). You get really into collecting and meet folks into milsurp collecting/shooting. You go to an Appleseed shoot or take up 3-gun/practical-carbine/Pistol shooting and end up making new friends out there in competition land.

The funny thing about this is that knives are almost the same way, but I've found that it's much harder to turn loose of knives that I really like than guns I really liked (I miss several guns, but I've never tried to buy them back - I've bought back several knives I sold after figuring out how much I miss them).

Latest posts

Top Bottom