Firearms vs. Religion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Sanford would I be non religious given the following.

I don't go to church, not a fan of organized religion, I DO believe in God but I've probably read less than a chapter of the bible in my life yet my philosophy is to treat others how I like to be treated and not do anything Jesus wouldn't do.

I grew up Baptist btw.
You are what you want to be - not my place to tell you.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My goal here was to debate the freedom to bear arms and the freedom of religion.
The two actually have quite a bit in common - long term gradual erosion of both through judicial activism, strong emotions "for" and "against" both with (in many cases) parties on the "take it away" side not comprehending why anyone would want to keep and exercise their rights, etc.

I wonder how much each side of each group has in common - for instance, are more religious people "pro" or "anti" gun? Are more gun people "pro" or "anti" religion?

It would seem to me that if one accepts the premise that gun people are entitled to keep and exercise their right, one also has to accept the premise that religious people are entitled to keep and exercise their right as well ... but then perhaps I'm biased as I'm a member of both camps.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no Psychiatrist, but even I can see that most of you guys have gone stark raving nuts with the boo-hoo already.:preocc:

Oh boo-hoo, everything sucks already, break out the smelling salts and carry me to the fainting couch.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do not have a right to privacy. Name the Amendment to the Constitution that gives you such a right.

So... I owe all of my rights to the government.

My right to live.

My right to preserve the life of me and mine.

My right to speak my mind.

My right to worship God.

My right to work.

My right to travel.

My right to freely associate with others.

My right to spend my earnings as I see fit.

My right to price my labor as the market sees fit.

My right to be secure in my belongings.

Oh wait. All of that comes from the government, apparently. Thanks for clearing that up.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do not have a right to privacy. Name the Amendment to the Constitution that gives you such a right.

We hold these truths to be self–evident,
That all men are created equal,
That they are endowed by their Creator
with certain unalienable Rights,
That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men,
Deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

The amendments to the constitution enumerate SOME of our rights, they do NOT grant them to us.

"That among these are..."

It doesn't say these rights are limited to.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys that think the kind of hatred that motivates these bozos comes from their disagreement with our way of life or our religion(s) are missing the mark. We've been fed that excuse so much it's almost impossible to think past it. The hatred that spawns suicide, murder and mass murder goes way beyond our differences in lifestyle. I don't want to make enemies and i'm not criticizing anyone. But there's more to it than lifestyle. How many of us are willing to commit suicide to take out a few Canadians because they have socialized medicine?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know perfectly well who I am and you know that wasn't the intent of my post. You don't have an answer to the question and that's fine.
What was the question again? Oh yeah ... would you be non-religious if ... really not sure what the intent of the post was, but I can see how maybe my answer didn't make much sense. Maybe should have been expanded as "not my place to make those kind of evaluations of other people because I'm not in their head, skin, or shoes" instead of just "not my place to tell you." I believe that the only person who can know where anyone's at religiously or spiritually is the person themselves. So in that regard you're right - I don't have an answer to your question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom