Firepower vs. concealability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on slim pistols in 9mm or larger.

I love my G19. I shoot it well and like the idea having 31 rounds on my person in a platform that I can shoot quickly and accurately.

However, my problem is concealing it in my work clothes. I have to wear shirt & tie (tucked) every day. I have an athletic build & wear tailored/fitted shirts (hey, I'm young, fit and single). I know a good holster can do wonders, but as much as I love the GLOCK, it's an absolute brick compared to the PF-9s / snubbies that I have owned. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I want it to hide well. I should state now that I prefer appendix carry. I think the 19 is a smidge too big for appendix carry in my work get up.

So now I'm looking for single stack / slim pistols. I've stumbled upon:

• Walther PPS
  • Kel Tec PF-9
  • Taurus 709
  • Kahr PM9
  • Kahr CW9

PPS--I love the brand, hate the price tag / cost of magazines.

I'm particularly intrigued w/ the Taurus--has anyone handled one? They're all over GB now and can be had for around $375 OTD.

I've owned a couple of PF-9s. I can barely tolerate poor fit & finish, and that's just what a PF-9 is. It ain't pretty, but it would get the job done and likely be the cheapest.

PM-9. Why the price tag difference between the CW9 & PM9? I don't get it. I'm on the fence w/ the CW9. I've never seen or handled one, but they are reasonably priced.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Whatever I end up buying, I want to try a Raven concealment IWB with.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I hate the looks of the PPS. To me, it looks jumbled, nothing flows, and it has that awful lever mag release. That by itself is a deal breaker. But, I've never shot any of the exact guns on your list with the exception of the Kahr.

None of them will be pleasant to shoot, but you'll already know that.

I haven't looked at a lot of reviews, but the KT PF9 if reliable would be the first one I'd try. I've shot KelTecs (P11 and P3AT) that were reliable while I was shooting them <50 rounds, but both of the Kahrs I've shot (PM9 and K9) were not, again, <50 rounds. I know that people on here have had good experiences with Kahrs, just can't get over the bad taste I've had especially considering the price tag.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've actually owned 2 different PF-9s. The ones w/ up-to-date frames run reliably after the first two hundred rounds or so.

My issue w/ the PF-9 is fit & finish. IMO, they look and feel sloppy. The ones I had were good shooters, however. It's a fairly good design. If they were $100 more and were tight & well finished, it would be a no brainer. The new Taurus looks pretty well thought out--I like single action triggers. The bluing has got to be better than the KT...

I suppose I could get a PF9 and have it 'koted or something.

I think the PPS looks sexy and I have good experience w/ Walther, but I'm staring @ $580 for one...

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might you try smartcarry with your G19 and see if that works with your clothing? Another preacher friend of mine used that exact setup with a spare mag. He wears slacks with a tucked in button down or polo.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might you try smartcarry with your G19 and see if that works with your clothing?

Drawing from a smart carry doesn't seem very quick to me. Then again, drawing any weapon from a tucked concealment holster's probably just as slow.

You could work on the polymer part of the Keltec, and have olyeller work on the slide.

I completely understand the thoughts on fit and finish.

...the more I shoot, the pickier I get.

Maybe what I need is a really nice mico 1911.

GLOCKinator

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in your same position. I'm fit, wear A&F type shirts so a IWB holster is out of the question. I was considering a smart carry. Anyway, I just picked up a P3AT which is crazy small, yet very powerful for a CCW. But I was concerned when I took it to the range this week. I fired about 50 rounds and had 2 spent cartridges not eject properly and it caused a jam. Don't know if the gun isn't broken in yet (it WAS used). I do like how small and light weight it is it is for a .380

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drawing from a smart carry doesn't seem very quick to me. Then again, drawing any weapon from a tucked concealment holster's probably just as slow.

Actually, the smartcarry says you're supposed to wear it over your shirt tail and the IWB tuck holsters have the shirt tail actually going over the butt of the pistol. The smartcarry should in theory be faster since you aren't pulling up your shirt tail to get access to it.

Maybe you could pocket carry a S&W J frame?

Latest posts

Top Bottom