First attempt at smokin'.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy-peasy.... this is my first try, I didn't want to eff up three racks! lol

I've got a couple more for tomorrow, though I may have trouble not going and getting a third! ;)

Question... doing pork spare-ribs any different than doing babyback? I have one of each. I may get a 3rd to make my "classic" way for my guests to sample and see which they like. My "classic" is similar seasoning, though I mix in the juice from several freshly-juiced lemons into that rub, then rub it on and wrap 'em up with alot of BBQ sauce and some onions in foil, throw 'em in the oven for 1-2 hours, then remove and throw them on a hot grill for 10-15 minutes. They literally fall apart from the wrapping and slow-cooking in the oven, the lemon breaks 'em down nicely and adds just a hint of tang to 'em. They're amazing, but very very wet and like I said, can't pick the rack up with tongs without them just falling apart.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
AHHHHHH!!!!!! TRAGEDY!!!!!

I screwed up! I went out to mop the ribs with apple juice for the last time and wrap them in foil and crank the heat for the last half-hour or so of cooking and my heat was down to 125f! I ran out of pellets.... CRIPES! I had plenty, but didn't fill the hopper with all the apple pellets because I am going to mix the apple and hickory tomorrow, so apparently I didn't put enough in.

So I put another pound or two in and restarted the coil to get them cooking again. Went ahead and wrapped my ribs, which were cool enough to handle by hand, soaked 'em well and set the heat at 375. It's now smoking merrily again and temp is climbing towards 350F. Figure I'll give 'em a half-hour or so, then take them off and let them rest a bit.

Did I ruin my ribs? Are they going to be super dry and tough and leathery? Or will they be salvageable with the reheat?

See.... THIS is why I only did one rack tonight. First-timer, didn't want to ruin $50 worth of meat by inexperience. Tomorrow will definitely be better, I think I'm going to do them on the lowest setting, which just reads "smoke". Probably for about 3 hours or more, then wrap 'em up for another hour at 300 or so.

Talk to me, fellas... tell me tonight's dinner isn't ruined???

As an aside, is mixing apple and hickory together a good idea? Or should I stick with one variety for each smoke?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have sauce, yes. Like I said, this was my trial run, so I didn't ruin our Memorial Day weekend feast. lol

I'll live, I'm sure they'll be edible, but tomorrow's ought to be much better. Live and learn. Patience and experience. I'll get there...

Latest posts

Top Bottom