First batch of chicks arrived!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got our first batch of chicks in from McMurray Hatchery :)

Our 4 y/o won’t leave their side. Lol. My wife fought me for a while in getting chickens with the kiddos, but it’s been so good for him. He starting to actually enjoy chores.

The only down side is he won’t leave me alone about when we get goats and pigs.
IMG_4029.jpeg

Learned about the hatchery here so I figured you guys would like this.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have got to get started on prepping for chicks since i made a premise to the youngun that she can have some chicks next spring. and will be starting from scratch since it has been years since i had any kind of poultry around.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Animals and caring for them is the best way there is to teach responsibility, time management, empathy and cycle of life. It can be harsh as hell on them, but they will come out the end better Humans.
This is true. It can also change the topics discussed at the dinner table. We went from the usual little kid nonsense to "Daddy, did you shoot this?"

There's nothing like my baby girl telling someone about how we had a turkey, but he got sick so I had to kill it or the boy asking me which gun I'm going to take to the coop when I lock the chickens up at night because raccoons are bad and will eat our birds.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is true. It can also change the topics discussed at the dinner table. We went from the usual little kid nonsense to "Daddy, did you shoot this?"

There's nothing like my baby girl telling someone about how we had a turkey, but he got sick so I had to kill it or the boy asking me which gun I'm going to take to the coop when I lock the chickens up at night because raccoons are bad and will eat our birds.

You are doing it right Sir!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at THAT grin!! 🤗🤗🤗 Those chickens will be spoilt rotten! Lol The 3 youngest ones I have (they are completely feathered out and laying now so they are NOT babies by any stretch of the imagination) will:

1. Come running at me from the depths of the backyard like a damned cartoon chicken! All I have to do is holler "Herechickchickchickchick!!" Sometimes I don't even have to do that. If they year the door open or shut, they come running. If they hear Dawg's claws click on the concrete, they come running. 🤷

2. All 3 of them "need" to be petted at the very least. A couple of them insist (like jumping up and pecking at my legs "insist") on being picked up and held and talked to. They literally cock their heads around and look at me like they understand every damned word I'm saying. 🤷

3. Will run up to Dawg and the kittens, if they come out with me, and stick their beaks up whoever's ass ... 🤷🤷🤦🤦🤦 I guess they learned it from Dawg and Harvey (the black and white cat) when they were little baby chicks and Dawg would try to inhale them. Harvey always had his nose up their asses, too. 🤷

4. Will squawk at me and carry on like banshees until they get their "treat". And NO! You cannot fool them with a handful of pellets. It has to be scratch ... Or mealworms ... Or canned veggies that were refrigerated overnight. They LOVE that stuff right now.

I dunno what to tell you. My critters, not a single one of them, have ever been normal. Last night, for instance, Miss Priss used me and Grumpy for trampolines. Boing boing boing boing back and forth off each of us. 🤷🤷🤷 I looked at the clock. It was 4:30 ... A.M. ... In the morning!! THE DARK MORNING!! When everyone else is asleep!!! 😖😖😖

It's like having a houseful of kids ... What do you do?? Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom